Friday, October 20, 2017

PASTORS & EVANGELISTS. Pt. 14 of 14


George Beverly Shea


And we find our way back to where I began this series of stories, for if you recall, I was preparing to do the part of a vocalist in church, when it occurred to me how many nationally, and internationally known Christian leaders to which I had been exposed, (and in some cases interacted) over the years.



As I stepped up to the podium, I began to allude to one of them.



“The poem which is the basis for this hymn was written by Rhea Miller, and the melody is by a man named ‘George.’ George Beverly Shea. It seems when he was a young adult, his mother left the poem on the piano, hoping he would set it to music. She was not disappointed.”

The man who possessed a common first name, and who was graced, (or cursed) as the case may be, with a middle name traditionally reserved for a female, grew up to become, without contradiction, the most widely listened to vocalist in the history of the world; bar none.

Now, I know you might believe otherwise, and challenge my assumptions with the likes of Elvis Presley. But, you see, the man with the rather strange middle name was the chief soloist for (drum roll) the Billy Graham crusades, and over the course of decades, millions upon multiplied millions of men, women and children around the world attended those meetings, and viewed them on television.

I had always wanted to see the man in person, and I suppose I might have easily done so, as he accompanied Billy Graham when the latter agreed to preach an Easter sunrise service in the little town of Bartow, Florida in the early 60’s. I mean, the location selected for the event was hardly a mile from my house. I could have walked there in ten or twelve minutes. But “my time had not yet come,” as I was yet to meet the Savior of the world, and I had little or no interest in attending that sort of event. But my mother attended, and she was glad of it.

However, (there’s that word again),

I was blessed with another opportunity to see, and hear this blessed man almost half a century later. A local church in this area had contracted with Shea to do a one night concert, and this time around, I was not to be denied. And while, for the immense crowd, my wife and I were forced to sit in the balcony, I will forever be grateful for the privilege of having been there that evening. GBS’ deep, rich voice was nothing less than remarkable.

The dear man passed away several years ago at the amazing age of 104, and I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have watched the video of that service on a social media site.

As the funeral began, a bevy of men and women followed the casket into the sanctuary. Leading one of the two columns, the commanding officer of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Did I mention Mr. Shea was Canadian by birth? (Well, he was).

As the casket was rolled across the space between the altar and first row of pews, and the processional members began to take their seats, the strains of the grand old man singing, “Safe in the Arms of Jesus” filled the sanctuary. Wonderfully poignant! Absolutely compelling!

Oh, how God used this good man to touch the lives of countless persons among the four corners of the earth!


by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 71. Copyright Pending.

If you would like to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above


No comments:

Post a Comment