Saturday, April 21, 2018

THE BOOK OF PHILIPPIANS, Chapter 1. McDonald Paraphrase



(Quite some time ago, I paraphrased The Book of Philippians. I include it, here, since nothing in my Christian life has allowed me to experience, and virtually know Paul, like this effort. I’m especially hopeful that the following paraphrase will enhance the spiritual lives of my descendants).



Chapter One



Paul & Timothy, Servants of Christ. To all who name Christ Jesus as Lord, who are at Philippi, with all the Bishops and Deacons.



May Grace be bestowed upon you, along with the peace only God Our Father can provide because Christ cooperated in the finished work.

Every memory of you is blessed and my thanks is continually overflowing before our Father.



Without fail, I always raise my voice to the Father on your behalf, praying with great joy.



For your fellowship in this great gospel from that very first day until now. I am confident of this very thing, that the One who has begun this magnificent work in you will go right on doing it ‘til the day of our deliverance. And it is only right for me to remember you with such rejoicing because you reside in my heart. For you have remembered me whether I walked among you, or whether I continued to reside in the darkness of the prison. For God bears me witness that I have your welfare at heart and all my efforts are on your behalf.



And I pray the more earnestly that your love may increase and that your knowledge may abound to all judgment.



That you may strive for excellence and that you be without offense, even ‘til Christ makes His appearance.



Being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are derived from Christ, unto God’s ultimate praise and glory. For I would have you understand, my brothers, that all my glories and all my sufferings have allowed the gospel to be shed forth in a mortal life.



Therefore, my chains in Christ are seen by the servants and those who have served in Caesar’s palace, and in other places. And many of those who once feared are emboldened by these chains, and speak without the slightest compulsion or anxiety. Some, indeed, preach Christ out of envy and strife, but some out of good will.



Some preach the gospel due to their jealousy of how God is using me. Other exhibit motives which follow a more righteous plane. They preach out of a heart overflowing with love for me. Again, some preach to make me jealous, believing any success will add to my sorrow in this prison.



But I am glad since Christ is preached.



And whatever happens, I will go right on being glad for your prayers, and I am convinced that good will come of this. And I live in eager expectation, and hope that my behavior will always honor God, and that my words will enhance Christ’ message, whether I live, or go on to be with Christ.



For to me, living means opportunities for Christ, and dying, well, that’s fine too.



If remaining here affords me better opportunities to win some of my brethren, then it becomes a hard choice, whether to live or go on to my reward. Sometimes I want to go on living, and at other times I’m content to think of leaving this world behind. How much more content I would be.



But I’m sure staying will benefit you more.



And I’m convinced that I am needed here, and I’m certain that I will remain to help you mature and find joy in your faith. Though I long to be with Christ, my staying will give you cause to glorify Our Saviour when I next see you face to face.



But in spite of what may happen to me, always live as befits a Christian, that I might hear of your unity in standing up for the Gospel, courageously and in spite of fear. To your enemies it will remind them of their ultimate failure, but to you it will be an obvious indicator that God has bestowed eternal life on you.



For you have been presented the inestimable privilege of both trusting in Him and suffering for Him.



We fight this terrible battle together and suffer at every turn. And I wrestle our great enemy even now, as you all so well know.

Excerpt from the McDonald Paraphrase of the New Testament. Copyright 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment