Friday, April 20, 2018

MOURNING DOVE, RABBITS & SQUIRRELS, OH MY!


“Way back when,” when I was young, (yes, I was young at one time), I committed a sacrilege. I took a life. Well, alright, multiple sacrileges and multiple lives.

However, before you call the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, I hasten to add that it was not human lives which I vanquished from the earth. Au Contraire.

No, I regret to say that with the assistance of my trusty BB gun, I am responsible for the deaths of several mourning doves, one squirrel, and one rabbit.

Oh, the humanity! (I mean fauna).

I honestly didn’t think anything of it at the time, but it is amazing the real (or perceived) feelings of guilt which overwhelmed me yesterday, as I reflected on those regrettable circumstances. (To be fair, I always devoured the creatures which died at the muzzle of my BB gun).

I know by now all you avid hunters out there are laughing your arses off. And in between your hee’s and haw’s, you’re saying, “Give me a break!” (or) “You gotta be kidding me!” (or) “What a fool!”

I’ve just never possessed the desire or propensity to wipe out anything bigger than a rabbit; (and only then, as an adolescent). And, I guess I never will; (unless the human race is inundated by a zombie apocalypse).

However, I think I must be doing penance in my old age, as if I am somehow making it up to all of God’s four-footed creatures. (Not unlike Captain Eddie Rickenbacker in a previous story, I suppose).

For you see, in my sunset years I have rescued a couple of vagabond dogs, and a stray cat, and provided them homes in which to live, and move and have their being.

And in my quest to satisfy the requirements of the (animal) law, I have gone out of my way to quench the thirst of the homeless canines, and felines, and squirrels and rabbits and mourning doves among us.

Why, just yesterday I watched, enthralled, as a visiting squirrel pitter-pattered his way across my flower garden, and jumped up on my little ornamental pool, and bent his head to drink; not once, but again, (and yet again).

I’m beginning to feel better, thank you.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 81. Copyright pending


If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment