Monday, April 2, 2018

BELIEVE ME. I KNOW WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU. Pts. 1-3


“In those days the Philistines gathered their forces to fight against Israel. Achish said to David, ‘You must understand that you and your men will accompany me in the army.’

David said, ‘Then you will see for yourself what your servant can do.’

Achish replied, ‘Very well, I will make you my bodyguard for life.’”

In the first few verses of 1st Samuel, Chapter 28, we read an almost obscure portion of a larger story in which King Saul consults with the Witch of Endor, and summons up the Prophet Samuel from the dead.

In this particular segment to which I alluded, Achish of the Philistines tells David that he will make him his bodyguard for life; without, apparently, asking the future king of Israel what he wants to do with the decades which stretch out before him.

Dear readers, I can tell you, I’ve “been there;” when people thought they knew what was good for me; better than I knew for myself.

After I came to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, and reached the conclusion that God wanted me to attend a local Bible college, my parents “pulled me from pillar to post” in an attempt to persuade me otherwise. Well, to be fair what transpired wasn’t quite that dramatic. My dad and I sat down with his minister, and later he arranged a similar meeting with my pastor and a dean from the college. As it fell together, I compromised, and attended a community college my freshman year, but, as a sophomore, transferred to the afore mentioned Bible college. 

And as I have implied, my father had resolved that nothing good could come of such an undertaking. However, I can tell you that a great deal of good came of it. I finished my Bachelor’s degree in Education, and four decades later returned to the same school, (now a university) as an adjunct professor. And, interestingly enough, by this season in my life both my parents expressed what a fine school it was, and how glad they were that my plans had fallen together in the manner they’d fallen together.

Pt. 2

A quarter of a century after the snafu with my father, I was on the verge of finishing my graduate degree in counseling, and I arranged to meet with a long-time pastor about my decision to relocate to a larger church; in which I hoped to contract as a pastoral counselor. As a result, and after having shared my perspectives with “Bro. Higgins,” he expressed the strong reservation that my decision to leave was flawed, and nothing good could come of it.

And not unlike my decision to attend the college of my choice, I followed through with my decision to transfer to the much larger church. As a result, I was provided the opportunity to administer a thriving pastoral counseling agency, and did so for a decade and a half. During my tenure there, I averaged upwards of twenty cases a week, and met with thousands of families, couples and individuals.

Then, there was the situation in which our youth minister and his wife reached the conclusion that it was time to move on to “greener fields.” After they moved from central Florida to Pennsylvania, “Pastor Boyington” shared his personal persuasion with me that “Randy” and “Shirley” were “off on a wild goose chase,” and that they couldn’t help but be disillusioned with the results of their quest.

However, Randy and Shirley were determined to follow the dream with which God stirred their hearts, and have, with the passing of years, planted an impactful church in the Pittsburgh area. On the other hand, as I understand it, Pastor Boyington is no longer a pastor, but has gone on to work in a secular profession.

But to return to the scripture with which I began my monologue.

“I will make you my bodyguard for life.”

David might well have responded,

“Well, that’s mighty good of you, dear sir, but honestly, I don’t want to be your bodyguard for another year, much less the rest of my natural life.”

Pt. 3

I once wrote a blog in which I promoted the notion that God has a plan for every believer, and how it behooves us to discover it.

I titled that particular blog, “The Shot Must Choose You.” 

I love one particular scene in the movie, “Bagger Vance.”

But to back up a bit. In this movie Matt Damon and Will Smith portray an exceptional amateur golfer, and what I refer to as a “golf angel.”

Matt (movie name, “Junah”) finds himself playing in an exhibition match against the two best professional players in the world. Will, (movie name, “Bagger”) has been sent to help him with his game, but more so, to increase his belief in himself, and his own abilities.

After falling 10 or 12 strokes behind the leader, and as Junah steps up to the 12th hole, and his club is on the backswing, Bagger interjects, “Suh, you’re doing this all wrong. The way you’re going about this match won’t never work!”

Junah lowers his club, takes a step backwards, and stares at Bagger in unbelief.

“You stop me in mid-swing to tell me that? I’ve chosen my shot, and you just interfered with me completing it.”

Bagger smiles a whimsical smile, and responds, “You don’t choose your shot… The shot must choose you.”

Junah is incredulous. “What? What? The shot must choose me? Why, that’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard!”

To which Bagger grew very serious, and appeared to be preparing for some momentous revelation.

“Mr. Junah, in all the world there’s only one true, authentic shot. One shot that’s right for that particular green, for that particular hole on the course. The shot must choose you.”

Junah seemed to pause and reflect, and it was as if suddenly, he gets it. After reflecting an additional moment he steps up to his mark, and asks Bagger for a different golf club. He gazes upon the hilt, the shaft, and the business end of the club, draws back, and strikes the ball.

And it was as if time slows down, and the crowd follows the ball with their gaze. Its arch and velocity sends it hurdling directly towards the flag. And the ball drops within feet of its target. Junah’s audience roars its appreciation, and a smile breaks out on our hero’s face.

“You know, Bagger, don’t let anybody tell you no different. You are one great caddy!”

Bagger smiles, and responds. “Why, thank you, suh. I do what I can.”

I have often reflected on this scene in that much better than average movie. And I think there’s more than a secular principal at work here. I believe a spiritual concept shines through.

For I think, (and scripture infers) that before our Creator breathed the worlds into place, He was thinking of you, and me. Not as some vast, earthly hoard, mind you, but He was thinking of each one of us by name, and He already had some pretty magnificent plans laid out for every one of us.

“Before I ever took my first breath, You (meaning God) planned every day of my life.” (Psalms 139:16) What an inestimably powerful statement!

And if our Lord thought of us before the beginning, and if He already had some pretty awesome plans in store for us, Bagger’s statement can’t help but be true.

THE SHOT MUST CHOOSE YOU

There exists, then, one best, most authentic, singular shot for each of us at any given time, in any given circumstance, one best course of action, one best option, that ought to drive our choices and decisions.

Now I’m not referring to whether you shop at Walmart or K-Mart, or whether you fish in a nearby pond, or not so nearby lake. No, “The Shot Must Choose You” is all about those crucial, “I simply must get it right” kinda decisions that come to all of us, such as the selection of a job, a ministry, or a best friend.

When Junah declared Bagger to be a great caddy, he had it just about right. But Bagger proved to be more than a great caddy. For he had been sent to serve as a great mentor figure to this insecure young man, but a man with the potential for greatness permeating his small frame.

Indeed, the shot must choose us. It must choose you. And it must choose me.  For ultimately, this is the only way in which we will ever truly fulfill God’s plans for us on the earth.

Indeed, I believe the shot must choose us, and it is paramount that we get it right. Our very destiny is at stake. I believe it would be pleasing to God that every one of His children pray the following simple prayer, and pray it on a daily basis.

“Oh Father, great Ruler of the universe. You Who knew me before I was formed or ever took my first breath,… let the shot choose me.”

Afterward

As long as any of us live and move and breathe, there will be people who are determined that they know more about what’s good for us, than we know for ourselves. (And from time to time, they are occasionally right).

While in the course of making a good decision, there is a place for a trusted mentor or counselor, ultimately, we have to find our own way.

In Philippians 2:12 we read,

“Working out your own salvation with fear and trembling.”

Well, my friends, this verse applies to more than just the condition of our soul, but the course of our entire lives on this planet. We must allow “the shot to choose us.”

Granted, sometimes doing so is mixed with a fair bit of trial and error, but as a result of my own experiences, I am convinced that we serve a God who is more than able to lead His people in a manner which will (1) gratify our interests and talents, (2) impact our fellow human beings, and which will, most importantly, (3) please our Creator.


(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 80. By William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, save or share, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment