Thursday, April 19, 2018

REMINDER: KEEP 'IT' TO YOURSELF. Pts. 1-2


I never claimed that I voted for, nor that I liked DT. (I didn’t and I don’t).

To be fair, I once wrote a blog which I titled, “I Got My Vote.” That is, because I could not fathom casting a vote for either of the two major 2016 candidates for President of the United States, I became my own write in candidate on my own ballot.

(I kept waiting for a Secret Service limo to pull up in front of my house, a black-suited agent to ring my bell, and in his best imitation of Clint Eastwood to say,

“President Elect McDonald, President O. wishes to brief you on the affairs of the United States immediately. We have a private jet waiting for you at a nearby airport, and we are prepared to take you to the White House immediately”).

And then I woke up.

All the foregoing to imply that sometimes I yield to temptation, and comment on social media (namely Facebook) political posts.

A few years ago, I made the mistake of doing what I just described having done.

The topic of the group post happened to be HC, and her former role as Secretary of State. And as is the case with any group political post, a liberal or conservative bias always exists. (In this case, the latter).

And while I have no more use for HC, than I have for DT in the role of President of the United States, I gave the lady a proverbial ‘thumbs up’ with the words,

“I believe HC was a better than average Secretary of State. She exercised good judgement, was a more than adequate role model, was well-informed, and set the standard for excellence.”

Pt. 2

You would have thought I murdered Mother Teresa.

Hardly two minutes had elapsed before one of the frequent responders says,

“HC exercised good judgement, was a good role model, and set a standard for excellence? You gotta be kidding! How can you support such a stupid statement?”

So, I says,

“Well, although I’m not required to explain myself to you, suffice it to say that based on my knowledge of world events, and HC’s involvement in the same, I generally like the way she conducted herself as Secretary of State.”

So, he says,

“Uhmmm, all you have done is repeated what you said in the first place. You haven’t explained why you like that woman.”

So, I says,

“Is this the Spanish Inquisition, and are you my Chief Inquisitor? Good Golly, man. I merely stated my opinion, (it is, after all, my First Amendment right) and you jump down my throat!”

So, he says,

“You’re the one who claimed HC was a good Secretary of State. I’m just giving you a chance to prove it. And so far, you ain’t doing a very good job.”

So, I says,

“I’m sorry I responded to this post in the first place. And I’m sorry there are people like you who frequent social media, and can’t tolerate responses which don’t agree with their pet peeves and political viewpoints.”

Afterward

Remind me to avoid wasting my time responding to political posts on social media

If and when I break the first rule, remind me not to debate people who insist that I explain myself to them

If and when I begin to debate people on a social media political post, remind me to cease and desist, as quickly as I realize I am doing so

Remind me not to post political posts on social media

If and when I break the fourth rule, remind me not to debate those who respond to my political posts on social media

Remind me to treat people, not as people treat me, but as I wish to be treated.

 (Hmmm, sounds a lot like a passage of scripture).




By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 81. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment