Thursday, April 19, 2018

EXPENSIVE WRINKLES. Pts. 1-2


“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time aren’t worthy to be compared to the glory which will be revealed in us.” Romans 8:18

Pt. 1

I was chatting with our pastor during “meet and greet” time at church tonight, and happened to compliment him on his lime-green long sleeve shirt, and that I thought it would look good with a silk suit which I bequeathed to him a couple of years ago. With this, Pastor K. responded with,

“Oh, I plan to wear that suit again soon. A hem came out, and it’s being repaired right now.”

I continued.

“You know when I bought that suit, the fella told me,

‘It’s such a fine suit, you could sleep in it.’

Well, preacher, he was closer to the God’s honest truth than he could have ever imagined, since after I bought and wore it, it wrinkled like a pair of pajamas.”

With this tidbit of information, the pastor or one of our parishioners, Bro. M., (I forget which) exclaimed,

“Expensive wrinkles!”

(And thus, the name and nature of this particular blog was born).

I smiled, and looking intently at the two men, I began to trace the wrinkles of my face, and forehead with my fingertips, and replied,

“Speaking of wrinkles, these are expensive wrinkles! Hard won wrinkles!”

Expensive wrinkles, indeed

Pt. 2

Like anyone else, I have known my fair share of trouble during the course of a relatively long life lived on the face of this planet.

And without providing my readers an exact time line, and a blow by blow index, my wife and I are all too familiar with the dissolution of former marriages, medical maladies among family members, financial challenges, broken bones, the unwelcome visitation by ‘The Big C’ in each of our lives, vehicular accidents, misunderstanding and subsequent betrayal by those whom we loved and trusted, the loss of parents and siblings…

Need I continue?

(No, I don’t think I will).

Nonetheless, we have experienced trouble, testing and turmoil in our lives, and we have come by the lines which etch our faces honestly.

Expensive wrinkles

Hard won wrinkles

And not to promote myself or my spirituality, (since I am nobody’s hero, there are many who have borne a much heavier cross than my own, and whose battles and burdens I cannot begin to comprehend).

But more than once I have uttered the statement,

“In spite of trial, trouble, testing and turmoil, the closer I get to the finish line, the easier it becomes;” simply because I have a Savior who walked the most difficult of pathways before me, who cares and understands, who has promised to be with me always, who encourages me to bring my troubles to His lofty throne, who strengthens me at all times, and who, when I shed this flesh with which I am currently confined, guarantees me an eternal Home in heaven.

Afterward

Teddy Roosevelt had just spent two weeks in Africa, on a wild game expedition, and as his ship pulled into New York Harbor, it seemed the entire city was there to greet him.

Traveling second class passage on that same ship was a missionary couple; who’d spent a full half century on the so-called ‘dark continent.’ Hearing the cheers and applause, Henry and Doris stared out of their bedroom portal, and were almost besides themselves with amazement.

After a few moments, Henry spoke.

“Doris, we have just spent fifty years in Africa bearing with innumerable challenges and deficiencies; with the simple, humble agenda to win the lost for Jesus. But here, you have President Roosevelt who has spent all of two weeks senselessly killing lions, and zebras and giraffes, and all of New York City has come out to welcome him. We return home, and not one soul is here to greet us!”

With the wisdom derived with years, a soul so often strengthened by the encouragement of answered prayer, and the presence of those hard won, expensive wrinkles, Doris whispered,

“Home, Henry? Home? Ah, but we’re not Home yet!”


By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 80. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment