Tuesday, April 17, 2018

NO ENCORES. Pts. 1-3


Pt. 1

Mrs. Samson was my first, as well as my second grade teacher, and she suggested our second grade class stage a school play. I was convinced that I was her favorite student, (though I might have thought differently at the conclusion of the production). I was chosen to assume the role of the Fire Wizard; one manifestation of that old faker, “The Wizard of Oz.”

I must remind myself to ask my mother if she remembers attending that play. It is one of the most poignant memories of my elementary years. I wore more cosmetics on my face than the lady who ran our local Ritz Theater ticket window. My entire face was covered in heavy red rouge or lipstick.

And since the whole of my monologue consisted of two lines, I was able to give significant attention to the dramatic elements of the production. (Reader, you should be smiling about now). After all, without exception, my classmates and I were convinced we were dealing with a ground breaking interpretation of that famous movie by the same name of my character.

As I walked onto the stage, I was greeted with laughter. The audience response set me back a little, and I could only wonder if I’d missed the joke. But undeterred, I quoted my lines with all the professionalism and seriousness of Clark Gable, (or Don Knotts).

“I am Oz, the great and the terrible. Who are you, and why do you seek me?”

And then, my short-lived elementary school acting career was over.

God giveth and God taketh away. ‘Tis a pity. I was good.

If, indeed, I am ever called upon for an encore, I will be ready, (since I still remember my poignant and compelling lines).

Pt. 2

Speaking of ‘encores,’ I was listening to a segment on Elvis Radio today. And at various times of the day and night, it is common for this channel to play recordings of Elvis’ stage performances, jam sessions, and miscellaneous audios.

And as I have previously inferred, an archival audio of “The King” was broadcast this afternoon in which he said,

“We need to surround ourselves with people who make us happy. There’s just no time for anything else. When this life is over, we ain’t gonna get no encore.”

Then again, more than once, Elvis made the statement that if he ever found a way to disappear, and live a life of anonymity, he’d probably end up in some little one red light town wearing a backwards collar.

And if there’s any chance at all Elvis discovered a way to do an ‘encore,’ he might be alive and well in Benton, Arkansas.

At least, if you believe a few myth makers out there, who are leading the proverbial parade to inspire his fans to “hope against hope” that he is still moving, and breathing, and living among us.

It is only in the past couple of months that I came across a website entitled, “Evidence Elvis Presley is Alive,” and which purports to show that an (amazing) look-alike, sound-alike guy by the name of Pastor Bob Joyce of the “Household of Faith Church” in Benton, Arkansas is none other than (drum roll) …the King of Rock ‘n Roll.

Only thing is, based on the videos and photos, the good reverend is twenty years younger than Elvis would be if Elvis was still moving, and breathing and living among us. One more road block to Elvis’ alternative identity is Rev. Joyce’ statement that he never was, is not now, nor ever will be the late King of Rock ‘n Roll.

Pt. 3

Granted, there are a few exceptions to this encore thing. A guy in the New Testament got one. Lazarus was his name. And scripture tells us about a few others who were blessed with an encore; one in the Old Testament, and a few others during Jesus’ day and time.

And then, we have these modern-day folks who are fortunate enough to be resuscitated after drowning, or defibrillated after a heart attack. Of course, the encore with which these people are blessed allows them to live out whatever measure of days Providence had already destined for them.

Speaking of the foregoing, all this stuff about encores calls to mind one of my pet peeves.

You hear people talk about someone “saving a life.”

Well, I’m sorry, no one ever saved another person’s life. Zero. Zilch. Nada. It has never happened, is not happening now, and never will happen.

I mean, I should know. I have an inside track on the subject.

My former wife and I, and our kiddos were visiting with her sister, our brother in law, and their children one day, and we were standing out by their pool; while the kids played.

Suddenly, my son and their son got in over their heads, and were floundering. Without so much as a second thought, I jumped in in my street clothes, and I found myself standing on the bottom of the pool; almost two feet over my head.

 I could see Steve and Robbie floundering just above me, and I reached up with both hands, grabbing each boy by the hem of his swimsuit, and slowly walked them into shallow water.

They got their encore. However, I did not save their lives.

I merely helped…extend them.

Ultimately, there are no encores.

As Ferris Bueller said on his day off, (No, I didn’t watch the movie),

“Life is short, and if you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you’re going to miss it!”


By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 80. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment