Tuesday, January 30, 2018

WHEN YOUR NAME IS AND ISN'T YOUR NAME. Pts. 1-2


My Scottish 3x great Grandfather immigrated to America from Ireland just prior to the Revolution, and, subsequently, served throughout the war.

Isham could neither read, nor write, and due to his thick accent, it is apparent that no one could be absolutely sure what his surname was. Somewhere along the way, perhaps when he enlisted in the Army, it was determined that his last name was “McDaniel.” However, and for whatever reason, his son, William, began using the surname of “McDonald,” and it has been thus throughout the multiple generations which have followed my namesake; (for these first and last names are common to both of us).

But in reference to my immigrant ancestor, I definitely had “the last word,” since when I organized a gravemarking ceremony for Isham a decade ago, I ordered and installed a VA headstone which bore the McDonald nomenclature.

Speaking of my family surname, my wife and I recently experienced an unsettling scenario. We have planned a trip to Scotland and Ireland in a few months, and, as a result, we submitted the necessary documentation and applied for the requisite passports.

Interestingly enough, when the passports arrived in the mail, we discovered that whomever had accomplished them had left a space between ‘Mc’ and ‘Donald;’ (though my accompanying birth certificate does not include this space). To complicate matters, our airplane tickets indicate a small ‘d’ in the Donald suffix. And to “put a cherry on top,” when we applied for a PSA Pre-check to expedite our check-in at the airport, my surname was entered as “McDonald.”

Unfortunately, we have been informed that our passports and tickets must match exactly, by letter and space, or we “just ain’t gettin on” that airplane. Thus, we are presented with a dilemma which must be reconciled before we leave for Europe.

Pt. 2

Strangely enough, the foregoing spellings of the McDonald surname are all correct.

Mc Donald, McDonald, Mc donald, Mcdonald, Mac Donald, MacDonald, Mc Donnell, McDonnell (or McDonald with a couple of small dashes under the ‘c’) are all proper and allowable spellings. (And as a matter of fact, at one time or the other, I have used three of the nine variations of the name).

Did I mention that the “Mc” prefix and the “Donald” suffix of my last name mean, “Son of Donald?” (Well, they do). Exactly like, (for example) the Israeli prefix and suffix of, “Ben Hur.” (Son of Hur).

Most believers are familiar with a verse in the last book of the New Testament which infers that every man, woman, boy and girl who acknowledge Christ as their Savior will be assigned a different name by which they will be known and addressed “on the other side.”

The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the New Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name. (Romans 3:12)

And while I don’t necessarily wish to surrender the name and accompanying spelling with which I have become so familiar, it will be refreshing to avoid the inherent confusion of a surname which can conceivably be written in such a myriad of ways.

“I will write on them the name of my God.”

(and)

“I will write on them my new name.”

I think I will be real fine with that.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 76. Copyright pending


If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.



No comments:

Post a Comment