Tuesday, January 16, 2018

BUCKET LISTS (a.k.a. Miles to Go Before I Sleep). Pts. 1-3



My wife and I, admittedly, watch too much television, mostly the so-called “national news;” (which from my way of thinking is little more than 23.9 hours day of bashing the current president). But I suppose I excuse my excess TV viewing with a self-congratulatory, “I get everything I need to get done anyway” affirmation.

At any rate, every week or two a pastoral AARP commercial pops up on the screen.

An attractive older woman can be seen walking down a woodsy pathway, and moves steadily towards the camera. And then she speaks by way of a voice over.

“I’m 60. I’ve got a long life ahead of me. Things to do. Places to go.”

And without fail, as the advertisement runs it course, I speak to the ‘boob tube.’

“No, you ain’t got a long life ahead of you lady. It’s later than you think. Do you think you’re gonna live much past the average life expectancy?”

(and)

“Don’t look now, my dear, but you might have twenty years left, twenty-five tops!!!”

I’m a bit older than the hypothetical woman in the television commercial; a mere year from 70. And I suppose if the producers put me in an ad like this, had me walking down a pastoral pathway, and gave me permission to say whatever came to mind, I might say,

“I’m almost 70. My time is almost up. I mean both my parents died at 85. I may have 15 years to my credit. 20 tops. Pretty scary thought, huh?”

Pt. 2

The Bible assures us that,

“It is appointed unto man once to die.”

Or, as the WWI soldier, Alan Seeger, put it,

“I have a rendezvous with death (at some disputed barricade when spring comes back with rustling shade).”

And though as a believer, I have every expectation that the Savior has made a way for me, and that I will live with Him forevermore, the afterlife doesn’t happen to be the focus of this particular thesis.

There’s a popular movie which features Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman called, “The Bucket List.” In this particular movie two terminally ill men, one rich, and one not so much, tour the world together in an attempt to do what the lady in the pastoral commercial claims she intends to do.

Talk about a ‘bucket list,’ I’m all for it.

In spite of my earlier musing in response to that pretty sixty-ish lady tip toeing through the tulips, and claiming that she has many more years to remain here, and wonderful things to do here, I would be more inclined to muse,

“I’m almost 70. And while my life on this earth is quickly reaching its zenith, I am determined to live what time remains to me to the fullest, fulfill the remainder of my destiny, and impact just as many people as God continues to set in my pathway.”

Pt. 3

If I were to ask you to name the richest piece of ground on earth you might say, “the goldmines of South Africa” or “the rain forests of South America” or perhaps “the oil wells of Saudi Arabia.”

 But, if you were to guess one of these locations, you would be

…absolutely wrong.

For you see, the richest piece of ground on earth is your

… local cemetery.

And the reason for this seeming paradox?

Lying dormant in the bosoms of thousands of these dearly departed are unfulfilled dreams. Dreams which might have changed the world.

A miracle medication which might have cured Alzheimer’s Disease. An invention which might have caused trees and flowers to bloom on the Sahara. A missionary endeavor that would have brought millions of unbelievers to a saving knowledge of the Gospel. Or something as basic, though inestimably crucial as the reconciliation between a father and his son.

Dreams which might have changed the world. But these dreams will remain unrealized for a million million years.

I am determined to go to my grave empty; having fulfilled every dream God has instilled in my being. There’s too much to accomplish, and too little time to accomplish it. Virtually every day that I live, I pray,

“Lord, please don’t let me miss one iota of the remainder of my destiny.”

Well, that’s “where I come from,” and I hope I’ve convinced you to join me in this worthy endeavor.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 76. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above  

No comments:

Post a Comment