Wednesday, January 24, 2018

HERITAGE, DESTINY, LEGACY. Pts. 1-3



While I have primarily served as a marriage and family counselor over the past quarter of a century, God has granted me the privilege of undertaking a couple of other spiritual avocations; including writing and mentoring. And as I have aged, and my client load has decreased, my opportunities to mentor young, and not so young people preparing for life and ministry has increased.

And it so happens that in the course of my involvement with the six young people whom I am currently mentoring, we are now examining the topic of Heritage, Destiny and Legacy.

I don’t believe I ever heard a sermon on the subject, but I speak about “Receiving a Heritage, Fulfilling a Destiny, and Leaving a Legacy.” And interestingly enough, the Legacy we leave behind become the next generation’s Heritage. One big circle. The gift that keeps on giving. Unbroken links in a spiritual chain. Sharing the Gospel message. People impacting people all the way back to one of the disciples, and to Jesus, Himself.

I will always remember the day I chose to follow Jesus, and I “walked that old sawdust trail;” the pathway which led to salvation.

A boyhood friend invited me to attend a summer revival service with him on the campus of a nearby Bible college; (a college in which I, ultimately, enrolled, and in which a full four decades later, I was privileged to serve on the faculty).

The National Sunday School Superintendent of the Assemblies of God preached the sermon that memorable evening in June of 1967. (Can it be a half century hence)? And while I cannot recall what the good Rev. William Kirschke shared with the congregation that evening, whatever he said was evidently very compelling for, as John Wesley once alluded, “I felt my heart strangely warmed.”

Pt. 2

I can only tell you that when it came time to find my way down to the altar, I did not hesitate. And having knelt at the altar rail, an older man joined me there. The elderly fellow whispered some heavily accented words into my ear, and led me in a particular composition which has been referred to as, “The Sinner’s Prayer.”

After the old gentleman and I had completed our spiritual business, he introduced himself to me. Jerry Treimstra was a Dutch immigrant, and had, at one time, served as a missionary to one of the South American countries.

And though I was not privileged to ever see William nor Jerry again, and they have both “passed from the scene” and “gone on to their reward,” they made an inestimable difference in the course of my natural life, (and supernatural life which is yet to come) and they are my spiritual fathers. As I have already implied, someone, (at least two someone’s) were the catalyst for God and good in these men’s lives, and they are my spiritual grandfather(s) and/or grandmother(s). And I don’t mind telling you, I am just as surely in debt to these wonderful folks. We stand on the shoulders of giants.

Dear readers, I am determined to honor the men and women who have gone on before me, whose Legacy has become my Heritage, which has become the impetus for my Destiny, and as they have done before me to leave a Legacy.

And I think, perhaps, my spiritual fathers would be pleased to know that I have neither forgotten them, nor failed to fulfill the plans God dreamed for me…before He made the worlds.

In recent days I have thought of two facets of God’s plans for yours truly which “will not let me go.”

Pt. 3

The year was 1968, and another young man and I gave our time, energy and efforts to founding a local outpost of young boys in our central Florida church referred to as “Royal Rangers.”

Five years later, having moved to Northern Virginia, a couple of other young men, and I were privileged to found another outpost of this wonderful organization.

I am happy to say that both groups still exist, and continue to make a tangible difference among boys in their respective communities. It is difficult to imagine, but the 8 and 10 and 12 year old children whom I was privileged to reach, teach and keep for the Lord have now entered the 5th and 6th decades of their lives. (And interestingly enough, one of my “little Rangers” is currently serving as a local Commander in that central Florida church).

Nothing exemplifies the concept I have previously expressed better than the four men (or women) team which runs the quarter mile relay. Each individual competitor finishes his (or her) leg of the race, hands off to another, and slows to a stop.

One of my interns expressed it as well as I have ever heard anyone express it; when she spoke extemporaneously to me at the end of a session.

“Dr. Bill, I don’t want to disappoint you. I’ll go for you when you can no longer go. I will speak for you when you can no longer speak. I will reach, teach and keep people in your name long after you have gone on to your reward.”

Heritage

Destiny

Legacy

Among the most dynamic words in the English language.




By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 76. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

No comments:

Post a Comment