Thursday, January 4, 2018

GOD DREAMED A DREAM (And you were in it). Pts. 1-2


I think the passing of an old year, and the advent of another one, (and the seeming swiftness of the former) causes most of us to reflect on the fleeting nature of life. I think it is too easy to become melancholy given the inalterable, irretrievable passing of the seasons, and its impact on our physiology.

There is just so much time God has made available to each of us.

A couple years ago, I was fortunate to be afforded the opportunity to purchase a century old Victrola record player which was once owned by my grandfather, and which, five decades hence, a great uncle played for my mom and me.

From time to time, I wind up its crank, much like one of those ancient automobiles, push an audio cylinder onto the shaft, lower the needle, and set it to spinning. And suddenly the tremulous voices of a choir sing the ‘Hallelujah Chorus,’ or a comedian warbles an admittedly hilarious ballad about his mother-in-law.

And I think,

“At the time these disembodied individuals stood in some non-descript recording studio, Edison turned some dials, spun some knobs, and threw some switches, the participants did what they did best, and were subsequently paid the going rate of a few dollars and some change. They were in their prime then, and living out their singular lives, as we live ours out today.

However, as vibrant and enthusiastic as their voices portray them to be, they have long since passed from the scene, and been consigned to some local cemetery.”

And I know such musing is a bit unpleasant, and unsettling, but none of us are exempt, and none of us will escape the promise of Hebrews 9:27. (I’ll let you look it up, but given my theme, you can imagine its content).

Pt. 2

Should I have ended my ponderings with the final lines of Part 1, I should have done you a disservice, I think. And should I have done so, you might have thought me rather dejected and depressed.

It is true that life is finite, and “all flesh is like grass,” yet for the believer we have a whole ‘nother life to which to look forward. And as wonderful as heaven is to contemplate, heaven is not the theme of my present musing.

For you see, God has graced you and me with the wherewithal to use our time, talents and treasure to make an irrevocable difference in the lives of those whom He chooses to set in our singular pathways.

I am a counselor and a mentor, and during the course of a quarter century I have been blessed to impact the lives of thousands of men and women, boys and girls. While the monetary dividends which accrue to the average pastoral counselor are small, the spiritual rewards are inestimable.

And yes, I realize you can’t eat spiritual rewards, but I have never regretted my decision to undertake this ministry, and I am convinced that there are many who come and go, and live and breathe and move on this earth whose lives are better for their having “knocked on my door.”

While we are not allowed to stay here, I am certain God has a task for each of us, and that before the eons, and before the worlds were flung into space, He knew each of us by name, and dreamed a dream for each of us.

Every day I am blessed to remain here, I pray,

“Lord, don’t let me miss the remainder of my destiny.”

I can think of no better prayer.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 76. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment