Saturday, January 6, 2018

A 'TOUCHING' VACATION. Pts. 1-3


Several years ago my wife and I made a trip to see my daughters, Mary and Kimberly, in, respectively, West Virginia and Kentucky.
Little did I know at the time of our departure that it would be a very ‘touching’ vacation.
As a retired soldier, Jean and I often check into military lodging facilities when we are out of state, and as she and I reached the Ft. Knox area one late evening, and rolled through the gate, we sought out the base hotel. While there we commuted to Kimberly’s house a couple times, and toured the General George Patton Museum on base; a stone’s throw from the infamous gold repository.
One of the initial exhibits in the relatively small building is General Patton’s staff car; the very automobile in which he was mortally injured in a two vehicle accident; while serving as the post WWII military commandant of occupied Germany.
And while the car was surrounded by a rope rectangle, and obviously “out of bounds,” I took it on myself to stretch out my right arm, and touch the left fender of the impressive military sedan. And while at this juncture, I cannot tell you whether I had any concern that I might be monitored on a surveillance camera, “come hell or high water,” I simply would not be denied.
Pt. 2
As my wife and I continued our tour of the General George Patton museum, we happened upon another exhibit which tweaked my interest. The Persian Gulf War surrender table. You know the one behind which sat General Norman Schwarzkopf and his Iraqi counterpart, and on which the surrender document was signed.
And while I cannot begin to tell you what the Persian Gulf War has in common with General Patton, nor why it was housed in ‘his’ museum, as a connoisseur of military history I was glad to happen up on it. Once again, the urge to touch the untouchable overwhelmed my sensibilities. Oblivious to any hidden cameras, I gently laid my hand upon that non-descript little table, and was glad for it.
After having spent a couple days in Kentucky and West Virginia, and having enjoyed our visit thoroughly, it was time for my wife and I to retrace our path, and return from whence we came.
As we navigated the few states which separated us from our quest, I decided we would stop off at Warner-Robbins Air Force Base in Georgia, spend the night, and tour their, (you guessed it) base museum. And given the nature of this military facility, you would be right to expect that the museum was populated by U.S. Air Force aircraft.
Pt. 3
My friends, I can assure you one aircraft, in particular, deserved my full attention.
The SR-71 “Blackbird” spy plane has always been my most favorite of military aircraft, and suddenly I was “tete a tete” with the awesome thing which I had so long time admired.
Did I mention the now defunct SR-71 achieved the highest attitude, at 85,000 feet, ever attained in sustained flight? (Well, it did).
Did I mention the SR-71 was the fastest aircraft in the history of aeronautics? (Well, it was). It was capable of reaching a (published) speed of over 2,000 mph. Any additional capability in terms of velocity remains a military secret to this day.
What was especially interesting to me was the fact that this particular airplane in ‘whose’ presence I stood held the Los Angeles to Washington D.C. speed record at a hair over one hour elapsed time.
Speaking of ‘time,’ this time around there was no barrier to my extended hand. No rope, no chains, no nada. As a result, I extended my arm above my head, and touched the leading edge of the right wing.
As “Jane Eyre” of the Victorian novel by the same title might have said,
“I was glad of it.”
Afterward
Did I mention it was quite a “touching” vacation? (Well, it was).
Yes, I can tell you it was a real treat for me to touch those famous relics, but of course these historic objects are inanimate, and will, ultimately, make no lasting difference in my life.
In the New Testament we read the story of a woman with a heinous malady who reached out and touched the hem of Jesus' garment, and who, as a result, was made whole.
While it was a thrill to touch the objects of which I previously alluded, the only lasting difference we are likely to experience during the course of this life occurs when we extend our hand to touch the One Who, ultimately, has the power over sickness and death, and offers us the hope of eternal life.
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 76. Copyright pending
If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment