Sunday, July 16, 2017

SOMETIMES THERE'S JUST NOT ENOUGH ROCKS


The older I get, the less I care what people think about what I say or do.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I’m not talking about robbing a bank or visiting mortal harm upon my fellow man.

I mean, a good example is my attempt at humor, as I stood behind the microphone at church today. The pastor had asked me to sing a song, any song, prior to his Sunday morning sermon. As a result, I chose that wonderful hymn, “I Must Tell Jesus.”

And as has been my practice to share a few words prior to each solo, well, today was no exception.

Did I mention the older I get, the less I care what people think?

(Yeah. I thought so).

For you see, as I stood behind that humble podium,

I said,

“I guess everyone in the auditorium has seen the movie, ‘Forrest Gump’ and, no doubt, you recall the scene in which ‘Jenny’ bombards her old, broken-down, abusive childhood home with rocks. She tosses one after the other at the wooden structure, and in so doing breaks out a few windows.”

And informing my audience that having spent her energies, Jenny slumps to the ground, I assumed my best Forrest Gump vocal characterization, and exclaimed,

“Sometimes I guess there just isn’t enough rocks.’”

I went on to make our parishioners aware of my own frustration with the contingencies which life has visited upon me and my family, and continued my story.

“I can relate to Jenny’s disillusionments and disappointments, and her need to throw a few rocks. Well, more than a few. I have a mentally ill daughter who has been in a group home for well over two decades. In spite of her plight, it is important for me to remember how much God values her life, and esteems the importance of her life; though it is a very different life than the one I might have desired for her.

And whereas, Jenny pummeled that old house with a multitude of rocks, and Forrest mused that sometimes there weren’t enough of those natural projectiles, I have often reflected,

“Sometimes there just aren’t enough…answers.”

As a believer, I am convinced, however, that one day there will be answers enough, and one day we will be afforded an innate understanding of all the where’s and wherefore’s of life.

William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 61. Copyright Pending.

If you wish to share, copy or 'save', please include the credit line, above
********
Due to a design flaw on this blogsite, if you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 & 2016, you will need to do the following:

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blogs will come up in the right margin.

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blogs will come up in the right margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment