Sunday, July 30, 2017

PAYING IT FORWARD

*A remembrance of a former university student of mine in which she alludes to a video on social media in which a man buys a birthday cake for a little boy whose grandmother cannot afford to pay for it and a similar story from her own life.

"It (the video) reminded me of a story I had happen to me when I was 6. When we first moved to Israel we didn't have much. One day I was walking with my dad by my favorite toy store. It was a very expensive one that I would usually would not even afford to walk into and I looked at a display window and I saw this Barbie doll I really wanted, but my dad did not have the money to buy it for me. Suddenly this man appeared; probably in his mid or late 60s wearing cowboy boots and hat. (We somehow knew He was from America). He asked me to pick any one toy I wanted from the display window and of course I picked the Barbie I so wanted. It was a new Barbie that just came out with her hair that came to her ankles and he went to the store with me and my dad and bought it for me. It was around 90 Shekiles ($30 ) at the time which was a lot of money for us (1991). I would never forget that man and the kindness He showed me. This video really made me think of Him and how one simple act of kindness can stay with you and inspire you to be a blessing to others too." (Jane Shlefer)

No comments:

Post a Comment