Sunday, July 30, 2017

SOMETIMES THERE'S JUST NOT ENOUGH ROCKS. Pts. 1-2


There are several iconic movies out there in which the primary actor portrays a diametrically different person than who they really are.

I love “Rain Man,” with Dustin Hoffman portraying an autistic savant. And who can forget, “Tootsie,” as characterized by the same brilliant actor? But perhaps my favorite of all time among this genre is, “Forrest Gump,” starring Tom Hanks.

In one scene Forrest’ wife, ‘Jenny’ is seen throwing rocks at the old wooden frame house in which she, as a child, was repeatedly molested by her father. Ultimately, Jenny manages to break out a couple of windows, and slumps to the dirt in abject anger and frustration.

And with this, Forrest is heard to say,

“I guess sometimes there’s just not enough rocks.”

Well, my friends, I think,

“Sometimes there’s just not enough…answers.”

There’s a poignant scripture in the sixth book of the New Testament which speaks to this very notion.

“For I reckon the suffering of this present world isn’t worthy to be compared to the glory that will be revealed in us.” (Romans 8:18)

Though the Savior, Himself, promised we would suffer persecution, it is too easy to think of ourselves as the exception to the rule. We read about the suffering saints of Hebrews Chapter 11. You know, the ones who lived in caves and dens, who went without sufficient food, who were sawn asunder and who were devoured by lions and tigers.

And though the writer of Hebrews neglects to mention it here, we know that many Christians were nailed to Roman crosses, and others were doused with oil and used as torches to light Nero’s banquets.

Pt. 2


Of course, the Apostle Peter witnessed Christ’ substitutionary death on the cross, and before his own similar martyrdom, he wrote a poignant admonishment to Christians of his day, and those of us who would follow.

“My brothers, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you’re suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.” (1st Peter 4:12)

And my fellow believers, (as that old fisherman turned Apostle might have said) is it necessary to admonish you? If it was good enough for the “giants upon whose shoulders we stand,” it is good enough for us.

I mean, there’s any number of things I don’t understand.

The premature deaths of many of my former classmates, and relatives. The dissolution of my first marriage. My wife and my respective bouts with cancer. Those whom I have known and loved, but who, subsequently, walked out of my life without so much as an explanation. My daughter’s quarter of a century struggle with retardation and mental illness.

And yet I know I’m not in competition with my readers, and that you have your own long and sorry lists of pain-inducing circumstances.

The Reverend David Jeremiah has often urged us that God doesn’t waste a circumstance or a tear, and that what we don’t understand now, we will understand after a little while. And this same good man was bold enough to muse whether a “vanilla-flavored existence” would be all that exciting, or all that profitable for our Christian growth and maturity.

I think you are bound to agree with Forrest that there’s never enough rocks, and with me that there’s never enough answers.

But I think we may as well lay our rocks down now, and wait for those long-awaited answers that are sure to come, though now they linger.


William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 62. Copyright Pending.

If you wish to share, copy or 'save', please include the credit line, above


No comments:

Post a Comment