Thursday, April 27, 2017

LITTLE HOPE CEMETERY

On a recent trip to Kentucky with my son to visit one of my daughters, we decided to visit Mammoth Cave; a tourist exhibit which I have toured several times in the past. As we neared the natural attraction we passed an old graveyard which bore a most unusual name.

LITTLE HOPE CEMETERY

And the same reflections immediately arose in the minds of each of us.

"Well, 'Little Hope Cemetery' is a very unfortunate name!"

(and)

"A moniker like that certainly isn't the characterization I'd want on my final resting place."

(and)

"What sort of folks would agree to be buried under a sign like that?"

(and)

"I certainly hope they were ready to meet their Maker."

And as we passed by that small assemblage of deceased saints and sinners, (mostly sinners, if we are to believe the initial adjective in the title) I said,

"Wouldn't it be cool if someone sneaked out here one night and added a couple of words to the sign?"

I would suggest,

"Little or No Hope Cemetery."

(Please remind me to choose a different spot for the disposition of my mortal remains).

Post Script - It has just come to my attention that "Little Hope Cemetery" is administered by "Little Hope Church." Please note that my sentiments are the same towards the church as they are towards the cemetery.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 53. Copyright Pending. 2017.

If you would like to share, copy or 'save' this blog, please include the credit line, above



No comments:

Post a Comment