Thursday, April 20, 2017

NEVER TOO LATE (a.k.a. Never Too Early) Pts. 1-2


This is one of those posts in which I thought of a fantastic title, (Never Too Late. a.k.a. Never Too Early) and in which I have a general premise or consideration to promote, but which I haven’t a clue how to begin or end.

I have been a ‘night owl’ all my life, or at least as long as I can recall. When I was in high school I was prone to stay up too late on week nights, in spite of what awaited me the next morning, I tended to watch television and read books throughout the night on Friday and Saturday evenings, and slept half the day away.

Of course, as an adult I was forced to reign these tendencies in, since a 40-50 hour work week lay ahead of me each time Monday rolled around. And I was generally successful in my ongoing attempts to ‘hit the hay’ around 11pm and awake at 6 or 7am.

However, (and when you read this word you just have to know something is about to change) the older I get, the more prone I am to revert to my childish ways. As a ‘mature person’ of 67, going on 68, I am semi-retired, and my part-time job position leaves me plenty of latitude for flexible hours and work at home.

It has been said that Benjamin Franklin slept all of four hours a day, (or night) and was perfectly content with this regimen. I can relate. But then, you knew I could.

Never Too Late. Never Too Early.

Yep. That’s me. I plead guilty.


Pt. 2

My wake-sleep cycle is all over the charts. At this stage in my life it is pretty ‘messed up.’ I mean, I would be hard pressed to tell you when my day begins and when it ends.

Whereas, the front of my day begins between 9-10am and I may take an hour nap about 4pm, from thence I am awake until perhaps 2am at which point I sleep an hour, prepare to walk a couple of miles in and about my neighborhood, and make a final pilgrimage to zzz-land about 7am. And thus, if my mathematics skills serve me well, I accumulate about 4-5 hours of absolutely, altogether interrupted sleep during the course of 24 hours.

As scripture admonishes us,

“These things ought not to be.”

And yet, I have settled into my wake-walk-sleep cycle …and I do so love it.

I guess if it was good enough for old Ben, it’s good enough for me.

(However, there’s that word again, it does make for remembering the date on the calendar a challenge; given my days and nights refuse to observe their nominal bachelor status, but consistently enjoy a state of conjugal bliss with the day which succeeds it).

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 53. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line. 

***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment