Sunday, April 30, 2017

FOREVER FRIENDS. Pts. 1-2


Shortly after having arrived home from my recent vacation with my son, to visit two of my daughters, my wife and I ‘did lunch’ at Olive Garden.

Having been seated by the waitress, the heavy set, middle-aged woman referred to me as ‘Sir.’

I immediately smiled, as I knew how I was about to respond.

“You call me ‘Sir’ and I look around for my daddy!”

(and)

“I’m a pastoral counselor and I don’t even like my little clients to use that particular term. I will often say, ‘Jimmy (or) Susie, I appreciate your manners, but I would rather you just say, Yes or No, and call me by my first name.’”

(and)

“Of course, I make their parents aware of my preferences in this regard.”

Our server was quick to pick up on the adjective before my vocation.

“A fellow believer. Well, it’s good to meet you!”

(And I thought, “Funny, we never did exchange names”).

But with this, I remarked,

“I noticed how happy you were.”

And the conversation continued.

“Well, sadness just leads to more sadness.”

(And I could only agree).

“Yes, and we know where we’re going, and what we’ll be doing when get there.”

And while the remainder of our interaction that day focused on the quality of the food, and the tab for our bill, (and while I still didn’t know her name) as our initial dialogue ended, she pledged,

“No matter where life takes us, we’ll always  be friends.”


Pt. 2

“No matter where life takes us, we’ll always be friends!”

Indeed.

Which led me to think,

“Who can say such a thing except a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ?”

And to be sure, I realized she might just as well have said,

“No matter where life takes us, we’ll always be brother and sister in the Lord.”

And I admit to possessing an extreme bias, but if those who have professed Christ as Savior really do possess the True Religion, and if we are to believe the political incorrectness of Jesus re. His statement that He is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life, and that no one will come to the Father, except by Him, well, there is just something special about our relationship with fellow believers.

Whatever their color, whatever their gender, whatever their denominational title, wherever they live, whatever they look like, they are our brothers and sisters; at least, as surely as the relationship we share with our own natural brothers and sisters, and we possess a relationship with them which is like no other relationship which exists on this or any other planet.

Wherever life may take us, we will always be friends. Wherever life may take us, we will always be

… brother and sister.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 53. Copyright Pending. 2017.

If you would like to share, copy or 'save' this blog, please include the credit line, above


No comments:

Post a Comment