Wednesday, April 19, 2017

PROVE ME & SEE. (a.k.a. The Place of Faith & Knowledge). Pts. 1-4


While I was scheduled to do some long distance mentoring with a couple of my Ohio interns this evening, it occurred to me that they might be available for our weekly I.M./Phone conversation tomorrow night. Both Tyler and Nicole informed me that they would be. For you see, I’d been wanting to ‘take in’ a particular movie, and when my wife mentioned the possibility, well, it seemed like a good idea. And thus, to quote a notable figure of our time, (Forrest Gump) … “we went.”

“Gifted” is the fictional story of a single man, “Frank Adler,” raising a child prodigy; his spirited seven year old niece, Mary. However, Frank’s plans for a normal childhood for his charge are foiled when Mary’s mathematical abilities come to the attention of Evelyn, his mother, who hopes to place her in the gifted program of a prestigious private school. Roberta, Frank’s landlady, is also heavily invested in the little girl, and seems torn between what’s best for Mary.

In one poignant scene, in which Frank and Mary are show-cased by the setting sun, the latter asks the former,

“Uncle Frank, is there a God?”

To which Frank responds,

“I don’t know. I honestly don’t know.”

With this, Mary exclaims,

“Well, Roberta has faith.”

And lifting the girl up on his shoulders, and twirling her around, her uncle muses,

“Mary, Roberta has faith in what she feels and believes, not what she knows.”

What she feels and believes. Not what she knows.

As a former professor, counselor and mentor this small element in the movie struck me like a sledge hammer, and I committed their brief conversation to memory. And while their interaction added little or nothing to the movie, the duo’s dialogue added a great deal to my “philosophical spirituality;” (for lack of a better term).

Pt. 2

I mean, I am ‘into’ Apologetics, (the defense of the Gospel of Jesus Christ) and I not only teach this stuff, but I have developed a biblical curriculum upon which I base my teaching.

I can tell you that the movie to which I have alluded provided me a bit of insight which I had previously embraced, but which I hadn’t surrounded with the exact words.

For you see, there are literally billions of people in our world today who invest faith in what they feel and believe to be true, rather than what they know to be true.

Faith has become the crucible in which feelings and beliefs are forged; rather than allowing knowledge to serve as the basis of faith. I think too many people in our world today are in danger of investing their faith in feelings and beliefs which very well …may be false. Whereas, if one’s faith is based on knowledge, and the absolute certainty that Christ is the very Son of God, faith just naturally follows.

Scripture assures us that,

“You will know the Truth, and the Truth will make you free.” (John 8:32)

Among the series of teachings I offer my interns is one I refer to as, “The Five Pillars of the Church,” or “Five Proofs that God Exists and that Jesus is His Son.” (The Five Proofs being The Word of God, Prophecy, the Person and Work of the Holy Spirit, Circumstances & Miracles, and the Testimony of the Believer).

Pt. 3

And while it is not my object here to speak exhaustively about the  foregoing variables, for the purpose of understanding I will summarize my conclusions about what I regard as certain proof that Jesus is the very Son of God, and Savior of the world.

The Word of God - The 66 books of the Old & New Testaments were written over a period of several thousand years by a total of 40 authors. In spite of the vast span of years and number of writers, perfect unanimity exists between them. Each and every biblical book in some way alludes to the Lord Jesus Christ, whereas 39 of them were written prior to His birth; a certain indication of the inspired nature of scripture, and the realization of its divine origins.

Prophecy - Among all of the writings promulgated by the major religions of the world none contain more prophecies and subsequent fulfillments than that of The Holy Bible. While not, by any means, an all-inclusive list, I have in my possession a chart depicting 365 Old Testament prophecies with resulting New Testament scriptures which represent the fulfillment of each.

The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit - Christ promised that He would return to His Father, and send the Holy Spirit to reside here in His place. On the Day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit made His advent on the earth. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are still manifest and operative in His Church today.

Circumstances & Miracles - Millions of believers can attest to the reality of providential circumstances and miracles in their lives. I, for one, have experienced several very ‘close calls’ in which I have been miraculously saved from almost certain death, my son once received a miraculous and immediate healing of an eye condition, and as I was cycling recently I witnessed what I am certain was an angelic being.

The Testimony of the Believer - Every believer possesses a testimony which begins at the moment he or she confesses his or her sins to the Creator, and asks Christ to live within. As I have implied above, the presence of circumstances and miracles enhance the testimony of the believer. The Holy Spirit “bears witness” that “old things are passing away and all things are becoming new.” The believer’s testimony allows him or her to witness to unbelievers, and influence them to join the community of faith.

Pt. 4

As you might have realized, I am an outspoken advocate of “the case for Christ,” I readily admit what I refer to as “knowledge-based faith,” and I refuse to be politically correct, or embrace an ecumenical mindset.

Old Testament scripture assures us that,

“If with all your heart you will seek the Lord, your God, you will find Him.” (Deut. 4:29)

(and)

“If with all your heart you will seek Me, you will find Me.” (Jere. 29:13)

Whereas an initial extension of faith often predisposes people to embrace whatever religion inspires their feelings and resulting belief structure, and whereas culturally or traditionally based religion is replicated in succeeding generations, truth-based faith requires the existence of factual and irrefutable information which substantiates the object of faith.

There was nothing politically correct about the claims of Christ. He was as definitive about His supernatural identity and deity, as anyone who ever made a claim about themselves,

when He said,

“I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father …except by Me.” (John 14:6)

Sadly, in my 2/3 of a century on this planet, and fifty years as a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, I have NEVER heard a sermon which purports the possibility that Christ’ claims can be proven.

And yet, in the last book of the Old Testament, the Creator says,

“Prove me and see…” (Malachi 3:10)

Knowledge-based Faith

Not faith for faith sake, or the sort of faith which invests trust in feelings, or culturally-based beliefs, but faith which depends on proof. The eternal future of every man, woman, boy and girl who ever lived, now lives, or will ever live depends on getting this one right.

We simply can’t afford to get it wrong.

About His Son He says,

In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth,
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
They will perish, but you remain;
they will all wear out like a garment.
You will roll them up like a robe;
like a garment they will be changed.
But you remain the same,
and your years will never end.
(Hebrews 1:8,10-12)



By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 53. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.


***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment