Monday, April 24, 2017

A WEST VIRGINIA PROPHECY. Pts. 1

Having first attended a small bible-based college in the 60's, I was afforded the opportunity of serving as an adjunct professor there a full four decades later; it having metamorphosed by this time into a university offering over fifty majors, including graduate level degrees.

Regretfully, virtually all of the part-time faculty were 'dispatched' in the next five years, and replaced by fulltime staff. I will, however, always be grateful for having been granted the privilege which was made available to me of impacting hundreds of promising students preparing for life and ministry. During that time period I met several of whom I sensed a special affinity, and as a result I have remained in touch through social media and email. One such young lady was named 'Sue.'

Over the past couple of years, (and for as long as I have maintained this blog) I have shared selected writings with her. As a result, a few days ago I shared a reminiscence with Sue about a conference I attended in which Ruth Graham, Billy Graham's daughter, presented a series of lectures. I happened to be the first person to walk into the auditorium for one particular presentation, and took a seat on the third row, center.

Suddenly, Ruth walked across the stage and seeing me stopped, and smiled and said,

"I'll be right back."

Well, dear readers, she may have long since forgotten that little innuendo,

...but I never will.

As I previously inferred, I shared this particular story with my former student, and reminiscent of the last scene in the movie, "Mr. Holland's Opus" Sue responded with,

"Well, that dear lady is the well-known daughter of an even more famous father, but you'll remain unknown, except in your little town."

(to be continued)

by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 53. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or 'save' please include the credit line, above.




No comments:

Post a Comment