Thursday, April 13, 2017

THE DIVINE "NO". Pts. 1-4


I suppose we have all experienced the seeming unfairness and lack of understanding associated with what might be characterized as, “The Divine ‘No.’”

I certainly have.

And yet, among all the Divine No’s to which I was ever personally privy, one stands out from among all the rest.

For you see, I attended high school with a particularly promising young lady whom, for the purpose of this story, I will refer to as, “Jeanine.” She was a year behind me, and normally would not have attended any of my classes, (or vice versa) but I was privileged to participate in mixed chorus with her.

Jeanine was special.

There was just something about her. Oh, she was the daughter of a music pastor, and a Christian, but she was quiet, and didn’t ‘go around shouting it to the highest heavens.’ And while I don’t recall exchanging one word with her, (or vice versa) I think I had an intuitive knowledge of her faith. Her countenance, consideration and character simply spoke volumes.

But to return to the premise of this story which happens to be,

… When God says, “No.”

Pt. 2

I suppose of all “The Divine ‘No’s’” to which any one of us will ever be exposed must be that of a young life cut short.

Sadly, Jeanine is included among the ranks of those who have left us “before their time.” Without going into any particular detail, suffice it to say she died in a one car accident, and not as the result of any fault of her own, nor anyone in the vehicle with her. She was in her senior year of high school, and finishing her final semester.

There is a scene in the movie, “Forrest Gump” in which ‘Jenny’ throws one rock after the other at the old house in which she grew up, and was abused by her biological father. We see one window, after another shatter, and now totally spent Jenny sinks to the ground. And with this Forrest muses, “Sometimes I guess there’s just not enough rocks.”

Well, sometimes I think there’s just not enough … answers.

It was certainly true in Jeanine’s case. I mean, who can account for it? The girl might have gone on to college, and subsequently become a medical missionary, an eminent psychologist or a film director. If I have ever known a Person of Excellence, Jeanine simply was one.

… But God said, “No.”

A friend of mine who lost an adult child said it was well as I have ever heard it said,

“She achieved all she was ever destined to achieve. She accomplished everything she was intended to accomplish.”

Pt. 3

Of course, nothing I have previously written can possibly assuage the loss of a young person. Family members and friends are left without answers and mercilessly undone.

Jeanine’s brother penned a poignant blog concerning the day of her funeral. It seems the graveside service being ended, father, mother, grandmother and he stepped back into the funeral car, and were in the midst of leaving the cemetery.

And Grandmother spoke.

“I know Jeanine is in a better place, and even if she was given the opportunity, I know she wouldn’t want to come back. And because I know she is happy there, I wouldn’t wish her back.”

To which little “Jonathan” responded with an adamant,

“Well, I would!!!”

And yet, as believers we are left with perhaps the best of all things.

… HOPE

Sometime after Jeanine’s passing her mother wrote a poignant little volume; which included a chapter devoted to the circumstance of her passing. In this chapter “Phyllis” alludes to the first Mother’s Day following the accident, the terrible grief and loneliness she experienced during that season, and the realization that this would be a Mother’s Day like none she’d ever encountered.

As she prepared for church that day, she happened to be going through her chest of drawers looking for a favorite old purse. Suddenly, she heard something fall behind the dresser, and she pushed it out enough to retrieve the object.

Pt. 4

Picking it up she realized she was holding a Mother’s Day Card which she’d saved from the previous year. And the front of the envelope was written in a familiar scrawl. Catching her breath, she pulled the card from the envelope, opened it and read the pre-printed lines, and cursive inscription.

Her eyes lingered on the final sentence.

“I love you, Mama.”

“Jeanine.”

It was as if she’d been granted a providential gift and reassurance from the hereafter; from a place which her dear daughter could not return, but to a place which she would one day have the privilege of joining her.

We cannot hope to understand the death of a young person. When it is all said and done we are left with few if any good answers, except that this life is momentary, and that eternity stretches out to the horizon before us.

When God says, “No” we are left with the certain assurance that He has said, “Yes” to something better and more enduring, and which passes not away.

**Note - I posted this same blog on social media and was challenged by someone that God does not deprive young people of their lives. I can only agree. However, my emphasis in this writing is that God KNOWS the days of our lives. (Psalm 30:15. Psalm 139:16). He knows His plans for those days. Had He a desire to lengthen our days, He is quite capable of doing so. In my own life I have escaped death many times; no doubt the result of God's decision to spare me. God just simply KNOWS the length of our allotted years and allows what He allows.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 53. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.
***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All of my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin


No comments:

Post a Comment