Wednesday, April 12, 2017

THE GIFT OF HIS PRESENCE (with a special "Elvis sighting"). Pts. 1-3

Forward

Although I am a pastoral counselor and have "sat with" thousands of men, women and children over the past two and half decades, I am ever mindful of those who have never sought out my services; at least in the traditional way.
For you see, I'm a great advocate of what I refer to as "momentary ministry" and hardly a day goes by that I don't pray, "Lord, help me to fulfill whatever remains of my destiny, and please don't let me miss out on an opportunity I might regard as 'circumstantial' but which you foreknew before the worlds were breathed into place."
And God has always been faithful to remind me of what He is doing and when He is about to do it. And for that I am grateful.

Pt. 1

I love the Elvis Channel 19 on Sirius Radio, and listen to it as often as I sit behind the wheel of my 2015 Nissan Altima. While I can't say I like every song "The King of Rock 'n Roll" ever recorded, and I am all too aware Elvis came up a bit short in the "righteous and faithful to the Creator" department, there is little or no doubt God gifted that Mississippi boy with the most extraordinary voice in the history of this planet.
However, as much as the music, I love to listen to Elvis' (now 80 year old) childhood friend, George Klein, as he interviews "The Memphis Mafia" and other members of Presley's personal entourage. And as a result, I have learned a great deal about "the king" (henceforth non-capitalized) that I would not have otherwise been privy.
One man played a major role in shaping the look of the king's iconic hairdo: Larry Geller. Geller opened up his first hair salon in West Hollywood well over half a century ago; quickly becoming a must-visit destination for stars like Marlon Brando, Rock Hudson, and Steve McQueen. Recently, Mr. Klein interviewed Larry Geller, and the story he told was nothing less than captivating.
The year was 1960 and Elvis summoned Larry Geller to meet at Graceland, and to do what he did best. As the master stylist set about his business the two men discovered they had much in common, including a love for literature. Thinking he would finish his work and depart the premises, Presley invited him to remain a while, and "the while" turned into three hours, during which time Elvis shared stories of his growing up years, his family having been "dirt poor" and his sometimes going to bed hungry, and the great love he had for his mother.
As Geller packed up his tools he offered to stop by, from time to time, and drop off a few of his favorite volumes. With this, Elvis suggested he walk away from his established business and become his personal hair stylist. It took the glorified barber about ten seconds to make a decision. He served as the singer's spiritual mentor and stylist from that day to the day he departed this life, and actually prepared the king's hair for his funeral service.
Perhaps it was because Elvis never forgot his roots that he so well understood the importance of giving that which he had to give. Although he often lavished expensive rings and watches and automobiles upon those who served him, it is obvious that Elvis knew how to give perhaps the best gift anyone could ever give,
... the gift of his presence.

Pt. 2

I like to think the king modeled this particular gift after THE King; our Lord Jesus Christ. At least, He has been my own personal role model for the past 50 years; since I first devoted my life to Him just after my high school graduation in 1967. While the Savior went about spreading the Good News, healing the leper, bringing sight to the blind, and raising the dead, I think in His ability to give the gift of His presence, He was second to none.
I had the opportunity to give that same singular gift today.
As my employer and I were stepping out of the door this afternoon, we saw her. A heavy set young woman was just passing the office, as she made her way down the sidewalk, and we noticed one another at the same moment.
"Hello there. Could either one of you give me a ride to the nearest bus stop?"
Ginger mentioned that I was about to leave and I might be inclined to assist her. I immediately acquiesced, and invited the stranger to open the passenger door of my car, and get in.
Having backed out of the drive way, I looked over at my newfound friend and queried,
"Listen, you needn't worry about waiting on a bus. I'll take you where you want to go."
My momentary guest smiled and said that she was a recovering heroin addict and that she was planning to stay the night in a local mission. As a result, I aimed my automobile towards "Talbot House." As we drove along I told "Laura" that, though I had no personal history of addiction, I had led a twelve step group for two years, and I made a point to tell her that I am convinced that the "Higher Power" mindset leaves something to be desired, and that a saving faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is sufficient to not only get clean, but remain free.

Pt. 3

As we neared our supposed destination Laura decided that,
"Well no, I'm not quite ready to register at the mission. Just leave me off at the nearest corner and I'll walk over there when I can summon up the courage."
I passed the intersection which led to the object of her quest, and after a couple more blocks I pulled over. As the young woman fumbled with the door lock I realized the great responsibility which was momentarily mine, and I was all too aware that it was unlikely I would ever lay eyes on this stranger again.
And with this, I placed my right hand on the girl's left shoulder, and challenged her with,
"You know, Laura. I just love the phrase from a popular novel.
'Your wounds are sad to behold, but you are NOT your wounds.' Our wounds need not characterize who we are."
(and)
"Please believe that God has plans for your life."
(and)
"Stay Encouraged."
Laura smiled a half smile, thanked me, and stepped out the door.
I gave this precious stranger the gift of my presence, and I like to think she will remember our momentary acquaintance for quite some time.

...I know I will.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 40. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin



No comments:

Post a Comment