Thursday, June 16, 2016

Touching Jesus is All That Really Matters


I was just watching a documentary about the SR-71 spy plane; my favorite aircraft of all time. (And as a big fan of all things aeronautic and America’s ventures into space that’s saying a lot). 

Though the SR-71 was a product of the early second half of the 20th century, it is still on record as the highest and fastest flying aircraft ever built; having attained a height of 85,000 feet and a speed of over 2,000 mph. 

And though this marvelous aircraft has long since been decommissioned, its record setting flights from New York to London (1 hr. 55 min.) and Washington D.C. to Los Angeles (1 hr. 4 min.) are likely to grace the record books for years to come.

More crucially than any height or speed records, of course, was this military jet’s contribution to the security of the United States. Among the hundreds of flights these amazing aircraft logged were photographic missions over Egypt in the midst of its conflicts with Israel, and surveillance missions over Southeast Asia and the Soviet Union.

As a retired reservist I have been privileged to visit many military bases, and have often used their commissaries and lodging facilities. Some time ago, my wife and I spent time at Robins Air Force Base and Ft. Knox, Kentucky.

Interestingly enough, we visited the air museum at Robins Air Force Base, and the Gen. George Patton Museum at Ft. Knox. At Robins I saw (and touched) the fastest aircraft of all time, the SR71, and at the latter museum I saw, and touched (something I should not have been touching) Gen. Patton's staff car, in which he sustained his mortal injury, and the Persian Gulf War surrender ceremony table.

I can tell you it was a real treat for me to touch these well-known objects, but of course these items are inanimate, and will, ultimately, make no lasting difference in my life.

In the New Testament we read the story of a woman with a heinous malady who reached out and touched the hem of Jesus' garment, and who as a result was made whole.

While it was a thrill to touch the objects to which I previously alluded, the only lasting difference we are likely to experience during the course of this life occurs when we extend our hand to touch the One Who ultimately has the power over sickness and death, and offers us the hope of heaven.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 38. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, save or share this blog, please include the credit line, above
***********

If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following: Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. 

When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All of my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index

No comments:

Post a Comment