Wednesday, June 8, 2016

My Little Buddy. Pt. 1





After my pet Shih Tzu passed away, I wrote a small volume in her memory entitled, 

“My Little Buddy.” 


(Yes, her name was ‘Buddy.’)


The dear creature first wandered up to our house with another dog of the same variety; apparently her brother; as they were obviously still puppies. And since Shih Tzu’s are rather expensive, it seemed obvious that these were no ‘throw away’ pets. Sadly, the male pooch died shortly thereafter, and as a result, Buddy displayed some significant anxiety, but it is not my purpose to give much time to that sad occurrence.


However, I will allude to the passing of our dear little Buddy; a full decade later.


Buddy, (as is the case with many Shih Tzu’s) suffered from severe allergies, and the only recourse was the administration of steroidal medication. Otherwise, she at best would have been uncomfortable, and at worst, might have scratched out her eyes. However, the use of this medication over the course of ten years took its toll, and Buddy’s liver values continued to rise, and ultimately to dangerous levels. I always referred to this seeming medicinal contradiction as, 

“Taking poison to stay alive.”


I will spare you the worst, (though I was quite specific in my volume by the same title as this story) but suffice it to say our little Buddy left us in the course of a night, though her leaving was not without significant suffering. She lay close against me that night, as she had all of the 3,000 plus days I’d called her mine. And as the dark of night gave way to the light of dawn, Buddy took her leave, and traveled to wherever household pets go …when they go.


On a rather light, or morbid note, (depending on your particular mindset) having considered ‘permatizing’ my pooch, I once looked over at Buddy, and asked,


“Buddy, would you like to be freeze dried when you die?”


And I kid you not, my furry friend responded with the most contentious look I had ever witnessed on her canine countenance.


But to be sure, I’m convinced that we will see our pets again. At least, I have asked our heavenly Father for the favor of their eternal presence next to me. 


Can it be sixty years since that black & white Cocker Spaniel, Princess, graced my life? And with the passing of decades, Buddy, and Lucy, and Queenie filled the successive emptiness left by the one before.


And of course, as each went “the way of all flesh” I expected the obligatory wait ‘til I would see any, or all of them again.


But, have you heard the old adage?


 …“There’s always an exception to the rule.”


(to be continued)

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 38. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, save or share this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following: Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. 

When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All of my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index.

No comments:

Post a Comment