Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Modern Day Prophets



Modern Day Prophets


I have struggled to reach a personal consensus concerning what I believe in regard to this role in the 21st century church. And thus far I am not ashamed to admit, I have mixed opinions.

Not because the role of a prophet isn’t documented in New Testament scripture.

 (It is).

Years ago, almost half a century ago, my wife and I were involved in a half-way house ministry in Tampa, Florida. A large group of recovering adolescent addicts lived in “The Hallelujah House.” ‘Janice’ and I rented an apartment nearby, and attended the worship services there on a nightly basis. At the time I was serving my first (and only) active duty tour in the United States Air Force. 

And as my tour neared its inevitable conclusion, the middle-aged leader of the ministry, a former Lutheran priest, “Jack Ollander,” decided it was a good thing to speak a prophecy over me. (Rather convenient that Jack knew my wife and I planned to live in Virginia, and that I would do my reserve duty in the largest city in Maryland).
As I approached the front of the living room, the lively shouts and prayers of adolescents and older teens were stilled. Jack was about to utter a prophetic word.

“Bro. McDonald, Go from here. Go in the might and Spirit of the Lord God. He shall give you fruit for your labor, and raise up a ministry through you in Baltimore; a ministry very much like the one we have established here. Fear not. For this is the Word of the Lord, and it must surely come to pass.”

Did I mention I had little or no inherent desire to establish and supervise such a ministry?

(Well, I didn’t).

And what became of what Jack might have characterized as a prophetic word; a word which “would surely come to pass?”

Well, the closest I same to “setting up shop” in Baltimore was my military presence in that city once a month. However, surprisingly enough, at least to me, some 40 years later my pastor dictated I create a recovery ministry in our central Florida church; (which I summarily did and led for two years).

It seems, at least in a rather general sense, Bro. Jack got the ministry part right, but the geographical area was off by a thousand miles.

Modern Day Prophets

And then there’s the case of a nationally known ‘prophetess’ who booked a one night speaking engagement in an American charismatic church a few years ago. (Yours truly happened to be sitting in the audience that evening). At any rate, “Sister Gloria” shared the kind of things prophets and prophetesses do, and as her ‘spiritual spiel’ drew to a close, she uttered her most profound and poignant prophecy of the night.

“I predict that before the waning sands of this year drop through the hour glass, the cities of Cincinnati and Houston will be completely devastated by terrorists…in a manner that will make 911 look like child’s play.”

While I can’t speak for the rest of the audience, I can tell you that her prophecies remained at the forefront of my thoughts; at least throughout the final six months of that particular year.

Can we say, “False Prophet?”

And as the year went out with a whimper, Cincinnati and Houston and their respective citizens continued to be “fine and dandy.” Thank you.

And without giving you any context, suffice it to say there was once a young man in dire need of a job; having been out of work for quite some time. One day, as he sat with a prospective employer, he made an unusual statement.

“My Christian grandmother prophesied over me this morning, and assured me that I would be hired today.”

Well, dear readers, I can tell you that very day he joined the ranks of the gainfully employed;

…for 8 hours.

For you see, as the day progressed his newfound employer discovered there was something amiss in the young man’s background, …and summarily terminated him.

Now, to be fair I suppose we could give “Grandma Jones” credit for guessing correctly. (Then again, I suppose she had a 50/50 chance of getting it right).

However, (and it’s a big ‘however’) the underlying implication of Grandma’s prophecy was that “Jim” would not only procure a job, …but would keep it.

(Which he obviously didn’t).

Whatdoyasay? Let’s give Bro. Jack a 5 outta 10

Sister Gloria? Hmmmm. A wee bit closer to Zilch, Nada. Goose Egg

(and)

Grandma Jones? She wins “by a neck.”

What, by the way, does scripture tell us about the accuracy of a prophet?

"And if thou say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?’ When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing follows not, nor comes to pass, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken, but the prophet has spoken it presumptuously.” (Deut. 18:21-22)

I think the New Testament Book of 1st Corinthians leaves little room for discussion, as it enumerates various gifts of the Holy Spirit.

…”To another prophecy.” (12:10)

The theory is good. 

The reality? 

Not so much.

I think the fault lies not in the SPEAKER, but rather the listeners. 


 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 39, Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
***********
 
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index

No comments:

Post a Comment