Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Leaving Something Behind. Q&A

After having told one of my university students that my father was “taken up” with Legacy, and had left paintings, family research and audio tapes behind, and that I was doing something very much like it, she commented, and asked the question…

"What a beautiful gift your father gave you. He obviously had a profound impact on you in this way. How did it impact you specifically to receive all of his works after he went home?"
 
What follows is my response.

In that I am the major repository of my father's voice, research and paintings, the existence of such resources is the closest thing to having him with us, and by default, I am the closest living individual with whom he continues to reside. "What we leave behind" is as near as we get to life eternal this side of heaven.

I also sense the responsibility which comes with being a steward of my father's works since I will pass them down to the next generation; as I will also leave my own works as a legacy to them who follow. There is something built into the heart of men and women (or should be) which calls us to leave something of our essence; to remind anyone who cares that we lived, and breathed and moved, ...and were.

While I take significant pride in my father's tangible works, and my own, I sense a greater pride and responsibility in the spiritual intervention with which he has entrusted me, and having experienced the wherewithal to touch countless lives. And there is the realization that they, in turn, are being given the wherewithal to emulate my love, care and encouragement towards them.

One of my former interns said it best, I think.

"Dr. Bill, I don't want to disappoint you. I'll go for you when you can no longer go. I'll speak for you when you can no longer speak. I'll make a difference on your behalf when you have long since gone on to your reward."

Among all the precious and poignant things anyone has ever shared with me, her words abide, and are inscribed on the table of my heart.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 38. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, save or share this blog, please include the credit line, above
***********

If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following: Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. 

When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All of my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index.

No comments:

Post a Comment