Sunday, December 10, 2023

THE WITCHES AMONG US

 4174

My 8th great Grandfather, Robert Ring, immigrated to America during the 17th century, and settled in Massachusetts. He was an indentured servant, and a barrel maker. Before too many years elapsed, he became one of the most prosperous men in Salisbury.

As it fell together, two sons of Robert named Joseph and Jarvis, my 8th great Uncles, gave testimony at the Salem Witch Trials. And as a result, a woman named Susannah Martin was sentenced to death. Their (ridiculous and misguided) testimonies can be found on the internet. Of course, I cannot begin to tell you how much I regret any familial ties to these men.

I had previously left a post on a social media page titled, "Salem Witch Trials Descendants" in which I wrote,

"I am the 8th great Nephew of Joseph and Jarvis Ring who testified against Susannah Martin, and as a result, she was put to death." 

In the meantime, several days passed, and tonight I returned to the page, and discovered that someone had responded to my post.

"Hi, my name is Linda _______. Susannah Martin was my 10th great Grandmother."

And while I realize there are probably hundreds of direct descendants of this poor, unfortunate lady, and other convicted defendants, Linda's response felt like one of those great steel balls on the end of a cable had slammed into my abdomen.

I counter-responded with,

"Oh my, Linda. Tears in my eyes. While neither of us knew our ancient relatives, I regret so much that my kinsmen gave false testimony against your kinswoman. Just so poignant to hear from you."

With this, Linda assured me that,

"It is not your fault, and you can't be held accountable for the poor choices of your great Uncles."

Of course, I was and am grateful that Linda extended such grace to a relative of the men who were responsible for the death of her ancient grandmother. 

I think Susannah would be glad, not only that she, in essence, lives on in the lives of multiplied hundreds of descendants, but that one of them took time to offer grace to a distant relative of her accusers. 

by Bill McDonald, PhD


No comments:

Post a Comment