Friday, December 1, 2023

PERSEVERANCE

 4167

Somebody is trying to tell me something.

At least, it seems that way to me. I have previously written about a plant referred to as the "Wandering Jew" which I noticed growing out of a wall along a nearby major highway. This stalwart purple and green plant had found a way to send a feeler branch through the tiniest of cracks where one foot thick concrete block joins another. It is important to understand, (as I feel inclined to elaborate), the parent plant, and the roots which nourish it, are unseen, and on the other side of the wall.

Then, in the past few days, I came across a video on social media in which a small fish is caught in a small tidal pool, a couple of feet from the main body of water; a lake or a bay. Suddenly, the brave little creature pops out of the water, and, for lack of a better word, scoots along the sand, wiggling left and right, and manages to get back into its natural environment again.

Then, just yesterday, as I was driving to the church in which I do counseling, I noticed a tiny little beast gripping the hood of my car; for all he was worth. A little brown lizard was gazing directly into the eyes! I was quickly increasing my speed, and at 40 mph he bravely held on. And I kid you not, I thought I saw a look of sheer terror in his eyes. Now, the poor little critter disappeared, and I assumed that by now, he had been blown to oblivion, and probably lay dying on the asphalt. 

However, now I saw him again. Perhaps he had sought refuge in the space which houses the wiper blades; only to reappear moments later. Now, the little critter began to lose his grip, and involuntarily slid across the hood.

Well, if you know me, you know I am sensitive to the plight of humans and animals alike. I simply had to do something. Flipping my right blinker, I pulled over to the shoulder of the road, opened the door, walked to the front of the car, and gently "shooed" the little fella towards to edge of the car hood. 

And as you might expect, the little brown lizard eagerly complied. He quickly found his way off the hood of the car, ran down the right side of the vehicle, across the hubcap, and pounced into the grass.

Three instances in which the most primitive of God's creations exercised extreme perseverance. (And I think the verb "exercised" is very appropriate here).

I think the plant, the fish and the lizard have a great deal to teach us about perseverance. At least, they have heightened my awareness of that quality, and have increased my determination to persevere in the face of the difficult circumstances which confront me. 

by Bill McDonald, PhD


No comments:

Post a Comment