Saturday, December 9, 2023

I AM OZ, THE GREAT & THE TERRIBLE

 4173

Almost 70 years ago, when I was in second grade, our teacher, Mrs. Samson took it on herself to organize a class play.
And for whatever reason, yours truly was nominated to play the Wizard of Oz. Oh, not just any Wizard of Oz, but his manifestation as, (for lack of a better moniker), the Fire Wizard.
And thus, on a given day, having learned my lines, (all two of them), and our parents sitting in rapt attention in the school auditorium, I "strutted my stuff" on the stage.
Oh, did I mention that given my role as the Wizard of Oz a la flames and smoke, a large quantity of rouge had been smeared on my face. And now, as I made my way to the center of the stage, and began to recite my lines... the absolutely unendurable and unspeakable occurred.
The audience began laughing... at me!
And, no doubt, I thought, "The show must go on, (in spite of the way you guys are treating the star of this production").
Gathering together all the courage I possessed as a six year old, I spoke,
"I am Oz, the Great and the Terrible. Who are you, and why do you seek me?"
I honestly don't recall anything which transpired before or after I uttered those 17 words, but, if I am ever called upon to do an encore performance, 70 years later I still have my lines down pat!
by Bill McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment