Monday, December 11, 2023

GOD CALLING

 4175

Over the past thirty years, I have served as a pastoral counselor in seven different locations; mainly one location at a time, occasionally two.

Two years ago, I contracted with Willow Oak Assembly near Lakeland, Florida, to provide pastoral counseling to this relatively small congregation. The first year I was there, I met with thirty clients. And while next to my all time high client population, this number was miniscule, during this season of my life, it is more than enough. However, as this, the second year comes to a close, I have met with a grand total of eleven clients; about a third of the number from the first year.

Anyone who knows me knows that I don't do what I do to amass great riches. My fees are among the lowest on this or any other planet. My priority is simply IMPACT. However, (there's that word again), given my client population has fallen by 2/3 in my second year at Willow Oak compared to my first year, it seemed to me that it was time to either contract with another church, or to simply retire.

As a result, I recently sat down with Pastor Pfingston, the Senior Pastor at Willow Oak, and made him aware of my still tentative decision to resign my counseling position there. He expressed regret that I would almost certainly be leaving next month, but he understood. His only suggestion was that should I reconsider resigning from my post, he would add a blurb about the counseling ministry to some glossy handouts he intends to have printed, and that he would "push" my ministry to members of his congregation during morning worship services.

Our meeting concluded, I thanked the pastor, walked out to my car, drove home, entered my house through my garage, found my way to my easy chair, sat down, turned on the TV, and dialed up a news channel.

I cannot tell you exactly how much time transpired, but it couldn't have been more than an hour when...

A voice thundered from the heavens! (Well, not exactly). To be sure, I can't begin to characterize what did exactly happen. Since this experience, I have told the pastor, and a few friends and family members that what I heard was almost, (but not quite) an audible voice. (I am at a loss to properly explain it).

I only know that the voice asked me two rather rhetorical questions.

"Did I send you to Willow Oak?"

To which I could only answer, "Yes."

(and)

"Have I told you to leave Willow Oak?"

To which I could only answer, "No."

I had my answer. I immediately called Pastor Scott, and shared this supernatural experience with him, and that I would staying on in my current capacity.

We serve a God who can be counted upon to provide answers to our questions; often times, when we fail to ask, or have already reached what we regard as the best solution.

by Bill McDonald, PhD


No comments:

Post a Comment