Sunday, December 30, 2018

A SPACE THAT ONLY (YOU) CAN FILL


I read the book, “Captivating” by John and Stasi Eldredge several years ago.

And while I remember little or nothing about the details of the book, there is one quotation that has made this volume among the most memorable I have ever read.

As I recall, the quotation comes from page 211.


This quotation is, without question or contradiction, the most self-affirming 39 words I have come across during the course of my 70 years on this planet.

Of course, it is fair for a skeptic to ask,

“Well, this is all very nice. But can you back this sweet platitude up with scripture?”

I’m glad you asked. And yes, I think I can.

In the Old Testament Book of Jeremiah, Chapter 31, Verse 3 we read,

“I (meaning God) have loved you with an everlasting love.”

I dare you to substitute your name for the fourth word in the verse because this is the implication of this passage of scripture. While God often speaks to a nation, the nation is made up of individuals to whom all scripture is addressed.

“I have loved (Bill) with an everlasting love.”

“I have loved (Shirley) with an everlasting love.”

If you flip over to the New Testament, the fourth Gospel, you will find the best-known verse in the entire Bible.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son…” (John 3:16)

Again, substitute your name for the sixth word.

“For God so loved (Bill) that He gave…”

“For God so loved (Suzie) that He gave…”

“For God so loved (Jim) that He gave…”

I have often heard preachers say,

“If (Bill) or (Sandy) or (Bart) was the only person in the world who ever sinned, Jesus would have still come and died on the cross to save him or her.”

You may regard this as a pat phrase, but yes, yes He would have.

“You’ve heard that in the heart of every man, woman and child is a space that only God can fill. But did you realize that in the heart of God, Himself is a space that only (insert your name) can fill.”

Try it out. Put your name in the parenthesis. There’s simply nothing like it for enhancing one’s self-concept. The God of the entire universe

…loves you.
by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 86. Copyright Pending

If you would like to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment