Monday, December 10, 2018

ENCOURAGING A FORMER STUDENT ABOUT HER CURRENT STUDENTS


*When I read a fairly hopeless post on the social media page of my former university student who is an elementary teacher and whose words questioned whether she was making any difference in her students’ lives at all, I responded in the following manner:

"I can relate, ______. Though I have counseled thousands, taught hundreds and mentored dozens, there have been times when I wondered if I was achieving anything at all. There have been those who have let me down altogether, who are mediocre, and are content to remain stuck. 
However, with the benefit of time, the verbal 'thank you's' and written letters, and the change which has been obvious in the maturing lives of those whom I have impacted has convinced me that, "well, yes, you have made a difference." I love an adage I once saw at a graduation exercise. "My students are living messages to a time that I will never see." You are a giant upon whose shoulders the next generation stands. You are a link in an unbroken chain which stretches backwards into infinity. 
One of my counseling interns once spontaneously said the following words to me... "Dr. Bill, I don't want to disappoint you. I'll go for you when you can't go. I'll speak for you when you can no longer speak. I'll reach, teach and keep people in your name when you have gone on to your reward." 
I believe your students are in so many ways, shapes and forms saying the same thing to you, my dear former student and friend. Hang in there, Dana, and stay encouraged. The end is not yet distinguishable from the beginning. The tale has not yet been told. The truth has not yet been found out. Days that have not yet been lived out, and seasons which have not yet dawned will make everything manifest, and may offer the kind of assurance which is sorely lacking at this present moment in time."

No comments:

Post a Comment