Monday, December 31, 2018

THE GOD TO WHOM I BELONG & WHOM I SERVE


“After everyone had gone a long time without food, Paul stood before them and said, ‘You should have listened to me and not have sailed from Crete; then we would have avoided all this damage and loss. But now I beg you, take courage! Not one of you will lose your life; only the ship will be lost. For last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve came to me and said, Don't be afraid, Paul! You must stand before the Emperor. And God in his goodness to you has spared the lives of all those who are sailing with you.’ So take courage, men! For I trust in God that it will be just as I was told. But we will be driven ashore on some island.” (Acts 27:21-26)

The God to whom I belong and whom I serve

I cannot read this line in the 27th chapter of the Book of Acts without thinking of the cross. I realize the casual reader of the passage might understandably ask, “What are you talking about?” Or he or she might comment, “I don’t see it.”

Well, my friends, notice the shape of the cross.

A vertical beam reaching upwards to the sky which held the trunk of Christ’ body securely in place. And a horizontal beam upon which His left and right arms were extended, and to which His wrists were nailed.

The God to whom I belong and whom I serve

The vertical beam (and the first portion of the verse) speak to our relationship with God. And I think it was no mistake that this wooden standard was shaped this way.

The horizontal beam (and the second portion of the verse) speak to our relationship with other members of the human race. And I think it was no mistake that the cross beam was shaped the way it was.

The God to whom I belong and whom I serve

Both the foregoing biblical passage, and the shape of the cross speak of our relationship with God, and our relationship with mankind.

The God to whom I belong and whom I serve

Our relationship with and our love for our heavenly Father requires that we develop relationships with, and extend our love towards, and serve our fellow human beings.
by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 86. Copyright Pending

If you wish to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment