Tuesday, December 25, 2018

IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL


In what is perhaps the most fast-paced and troubled age of all the ages, men seem to struggle for inner peace. And again and again, it eludes them.



     We too easily pass over Christ’ admonition and promise…



     “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled. Neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27, KJV) Some might even be bold (or ignorant) enough to say, “Oh, that kind of philosophy isn’t relevant to our time.”



     That opinion has been proven incorrect, time and time again.



     Horatio Spafford was a successful nineteenth-century Chicago lawyer, and friend of D.L Moody.



     In November of 1873, he put his wife and four daughters on the S.S. Ville du Harve, planning to join them for a much needed vacation in Europe later in that month. As the ship reached its halfway point, it was struck by another vessel, and sank within a few minutes. All four of the Spafford children drowned. Their mother survived.



     Horatio mourned as another ship ferried him to his grieving wife in Cardiff, Wales. As the ship sailed past the area where his precious daughters died, he found himself writing the haunting strains of the following hymn.



     “When peace, like a river, attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll-Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.”



     I think that only a discipline tested in the crucibles of human trauma is capable of providing us such poignant words. I think it is a “though I do not welcome personal tragedy, I am determined to be made better by it” mentality.

 

      It is that kind of discipline that I refer to as “The Simon of Cyrene” principle. That is, “the take up your cross and follow me”

concept. For sometimes Our Lord calls us to experience suffering. Sometimes He gives us the opportunity to participate in, and identify with the suffering that He, Himself endured.



     “It is well with my soul” is a personally-precious hymn to me. For I had the rich opportunity to sing it at both my Mother-in-Law’s and Father-in-Law’s funerals. 



     I think Our Lord is constantly and consistently equipping us for whatever lies beyond the next turn in the road. While we may find ourselves dreading the unknown future, it never takes Our Lord unawares.

    

     “Tho Satan should buffet, tho trials should come, let this blest assurance control, that Christ hath regarded my helpless estate…”



     Yes, my friend. We can be sure that the seeming unendurable… is not!

by William McDonald, PhD. Unconventional Devotions. Copyright 2005

If you wish to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment