Saturday, December 1, 2018

LETTERS FROM PRESIDENT GEORGE H.W. BUSH


There are (and will continue be) lots of statements memorializing former President George H.W. Bush. This letter from his book, "All the Best, George Bush" says so much about him and was written as a 20 year old active duty Naval officer. It's not surprising this 20 year old matured to lead a life of more than 70 years of public service (including peacefully ending the Cold War without a single shot fired), 73 years of marriage, father to 6 children and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and model patriotism of a vintage that is slowly fading away. RIP, Mr. President.



June 4, 1944

My Dear Mrs. Wykes,

For the past year your son, Jim, and I have been very close friends. We have been together at all our various stations, joined the squadron together, and have roomed together for a year now, even aboard this ship. I know your son well and have long considered myself fortunate to be one of his intimate friends. His kindly nature and all around goodness have won for him the friendship and respect of every officer and enlisted man in the squadron.

I realize that the news of his being missing has undoubtedly brought into your home a good deal of grief and sorrow — but however difficult it may be, you must never give up hope. All of us out here firmly believe that there is an excellent chance that Jim and his 2 crewmen are still alive. I am not saying this merely to console you, for I would not want to give you false hope. You have lost a loving son, we have lost a beloved friend; so let us be brave — let us keep faith and hope in our hearts and may our prayers be answered.

God bless you and your family

Sincerely yours,

George Bush

Here's another one written half a century later



January 20, 1993

Dear Bill

When I walked into this office just now, I felt the same sense of wonder and respect that I felt four years ago. I know you will feel that too.

I wish you great happiness here. I never felt the loneliness that some presidents describe.

There will be tough times, made even more difficult by criticism you may not think is fair. I’m not a very good one to give advice, but don’t let the critics discourage you, or push you off course.

You will be our president when you read this note. I wish you well. I wish your family well.

Your success now is our country’s success. I am rooting hard for you.

Good Luck,

George

No comments:

Post a Comment