Tuesday, April 9, 2024

THE HAND ON MY SHOULDER

 4242

My wife and I attended a local church several years ago, and I also happened to serve as the staff counselor there.


A few years into my tenure, our pastor contacted an evangelist friend and invited him to conduct a one week series of revival meetings; which he summarily did. On the final night of his series, “Pastor Lynch” invited whomever would to join “Rev. Jensen” at the front of the church for a final prayer; to send him on his way.


With this, Jean and I strolled to the area just below the pulpit, and joined perhaps fifty others as they surrounded the good minister. And as is the case in such evangelistic environments, each person, in turn, placed a hand on the shoulder of the person closest to the next person closest to the “identified individual.”


And since I was among numerous others which comprised one of the concentric rings which surrounded the evangelist, I was not surprised when someone behind me placed his or her hand on my right shoulder.


However…


As the communal prayer ended, and people began filing back to their pews, I realized the hand …was still on my shoulder. The realization that the hand remained unmoved struck me so strange that I found myself reticent to look around. But since it was time to make my exit from the front of the auditorium, I had little choice, but to “do a 180” and head back to my seat.


As I turned and cast my eyes on the space from whence the arm and adjoining hand were extended, it was all too apparent that,


there was no one there!


And yet, and yet, the weight of the hand remained on my shoulder. 


And it was at this point that I realized I had either transcended the laws of gravity, (as the weight of the atmosphere exerts the same relative pressure on an entire body at sea level), or I had unknowingly sustained nerve damage on or about my deltoid muscle which accounted for the unusual sensation. (By this time, I was racking my brain for any rationale for such a one of a kind experience).


And as I walked back down the aisle, and reclaimed my seat, the weight of the hand remained. As the service was dismissed, we made our way out the front door, I slid into the passenger seat, and we drove the two miles to our home, the extra pound of flesh and blood sat heavy on my shoulder. It was only after I flopped down in my recliner, and a few minutes elapsed that the strange sensation finally dissipated.



Although I can’t be altogether certain why our Lord afforded me this unique affirmation of His love and leading, I have never doubted that His hand has rested upon my life and ministry. As it fell together, the years ahead would be fraught with many trials and troubles, as well as triumphs.

by Bill McDonald, PhD


I so often associate the miracle of that night with one of my favorite hymns.


All the way my Savior leads me
Who have I to ask beside
How could I doubt His tender mercy
Who through life has been my guide

All the way my Savior leads me
Cheers each winding path I tread
Gives me grace for every trial
Feeds me with the living Bread

All the way my Savior leads me
O, the fullness of His love
O, the sureness of His promise
In the triumph of His blood


And when my spirit clothed immortal
Wings its flight to realms of day
This my song through endless ages
Jesus led me all the way
Jesus led me all the way

 


No comments:

Post a Comment