Monday, April 15, 2024

MY COUSIN FRANCES

 4253

Frances Langford, the WWII era movie actress, songster, and USO performer, was my dad’s second cousin. Their grandparents were half-brother and half-sister. (My dad once told me that John, Rhoenia’s brother, rode from southern Georgia to central Florida on horseback in the second half of the 19th century to see his sister).

When I was in Valdosta, visiting with my aunt, my dad’s 1st cousin, Sonny McDonald, came by her house, and I struck up a conversation with him.

“Sonny, I understand Frances Langford was your second cousin;” (which he affirmed with a nod).

And I continued,

“My dad told me that he once saw her perform in Hawaii during WWII, but didn’t bother to introduce himself.”

Sonny piped up. “Well, I didn’t exactly meet her either, but I saw her. I was in the same room with her. You see, my dad drove me down to Lakeland once since he got a hankering to see his first cousin, Vasco, Frances’ father.

I was maybe five or six, and while I was playing with my toy soldiers in the living room, a young lady walked through, and almost immediately out the front door. I learned later that this was cousin Frances. By this time she had already made a few movies, and was a star. Later, during WWII, she did lots of USO shows for the military, and, of course, she was Bob Hope’s female ‘side kick’ at the time.”

I had always wanted to talk to a family member who had actually spoken to, or seen Frances. I’m glad I had that unexpected opportunity. It would not present itself again.

 by Bill McDonald, PhD

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment