Wednesday, April 10, 2024

THE HAND ON HER SHOULDER

 4244

The winds howled as Dottie Rambo walked along a Florida beach among the scattered pieces of driftwood. A small fire, built by her husband, Buck, flickered nearby. He was there, sitting a short distance away, as her protector. However, he wanted her to be alone with her thoughts. Dottie wanted to ponder the thoughts that were troubling her soul. An unfaithful friend had caused disappointment. Out of such troubled times, a song usually appeared. One was there, stirring in the heart of this lady who had been writing songs since she was 9 years old.

"There had been a very bad storm the day before," Dottie said, "and driftwood was scattered along the beach. I was going through a time that was a low valley for me. It was sort of a 'storm' in my own life. As the whitecaps broke across the water, and as I walked among the driftwood and the seaweed with my guitar strapped over my shoulder, I pondered the lyrics of several songs that the Lord seemed to be giving to me at the time."

"All of a sudden I thought, 'Lord, this storm is so much like my life, and yet, in the midst of the storms of life, you have been a shelter to me. When I can't take the storm, I run to you for that shelter and, suddenly, I feel secure.'"

"While thinking on those things and watching as the wind kicked up the waters, I began to write a song. The melody was coming as I played my guitar, but I could not find an opening for the song. I could not find a way to interpret the song, something that would give it a springboard.

"As I continued to walk, I pled with the Lord, 'Lord, how am I going to start this song?' And, as I was talking to God, the closeness of the Lord touched me on the shoulder. I felt his presence, so real. I had a very warm feeling and these words came forth: 'Thank you, Lord, I feel the touch of your hand, so kind and tender.' Then I started to weep and I said, 'Lord, that is how I will open the song.'" The words kept coming as the Lord gave to Dottie a message for her own troubled heart.

"I feel the touch of hands so kind and tender.

They're leading me in the paths that I must trod.

I'll have no fear for Jesus walks beside me

For I'm sheltered in the arms of God."

"So let the storm clouds rage high,

The dark clouds rise,

They don't worry me;

For I'm sheltered safe within the arms of God.

He walks with me,

And naught of earth shall harm me,

For I'm sheltered in the arms of God."

Dottie told me, "I asked the Lord to let me, at least once each year, write a song that will speak to the hearts of Christians everywhere." She did just that.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment