Friday, February 23, 2024

THE BEST OF TIMES

 4228

This morning I was thinking about a very special moment in my life, the day that I received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.

It was early June of 1967, and I had graduated from high school just two weeks earlier. One of my friends invited me to attend a summer revival on the campus of Southeastern Bible College in central Florida.

 And although I attended the local Methodist church regularly, was a member of the youth group, and had been involved in three youth camps over the years, I had never had a profoundly religious experience during the course of my first 18 years.

At the time, this Assemblies of God college looked more like a World War II military installation, than a center of academic learning. It was definitely a "bare bones" environment with what looked like barracks for dormitories.

That first night of the revival Gene and I sat through a few songs, and a sermon, and as John Wesley described it, I "felt my heart strangely warmed." As the Assemblies of God National Sunday School Superintendent, Rev. William Kirschke, gave the altar call, I found myself getting up out of my seat, and walking towards the front of this hanger style chapel.

As I kneeled to pray, an elderly man knelt beside me, and led me in what I later learned was "the Sinner's Prayer." When I arose from my kneeling position, the slightly built seventy something minister introduced himself. He was a Dutch missionary named Jerry Triemstra. He had, at one time, been assigned to a South American country.

As you might well imagine, I refer to these two men in the previous two paragraphs as my spiritual fathers. And while I never saw either of them again, I will always be grateful to them, and look forward to seeing them again in heaven.

It was the best of times. 

 by William McDonald, PhD


No comments:

Post a Comment