Monday, February 19, 2024

PRECIOUS MEMORY

 4223

I love to recount and relate stories that were surely significant to me, lest there come a day I won’t be able to remember and share them anymore.
Back in the mid to late 80's when around 37 or so, I was on a business trip visiting one of the three parent companies for yet a 2nd time in Malmo, Sweden.
I'd heard about a wonderful English style restaurant within walking distance from my hotel called "Good Time Charlie's Emporium" and a wonderful pepper steak they would prepare at the table for you, so I dined there early one evening for perhaps the most unforgettable meal and encounter in my life!
Entering, I was shown past a booth with an attractive short blonde-haired mother and her young son of perhaps 8 years of age.
Ordering the pepper steak, shortly a lady came to the table with a large cart and began pan-searing a wonderful cut of beef and preparing the green pepper gravy sauce on an open flame with a bit of bourbon, at the end.
Watching this production in amazement, I soon sensed somebody by my side and it was the young Swedish boy watching every move of that wondrous meal being prepared.
As the lady finished the dish and presented it in front of me, the boy's eye's continued to yearningly follow every move in wonder, then sadly looked at me, nodded and left (going back to his mother towards the front of the restaurant).
I sat there a moment and having extra silverware and a small plate, plus more than enough of the dish, cut, spooned and placed around a third of it on the extra plate and walked up front to where the Boy sat with his mother.
When at their booth I introduced myself as being from America and said to the boy "This is for you"! (with his mother translating what I had said). The look on that boy's Face and the smile of appreciation and thanks from both he and his mother, was priceless.
I'd just finished my meal and again sensed someone to my side. It was the boy who simply held out a white paper bag of gummi bears to share and for I partook of a few, thanking him, for the unexpected generosity.
About to depart the restaurant, I asked the waitress if I could purchase one of the pint glasses adorned with the name of the restaurant in graphics and she returned shortly with one wrapped up in tissue paper, saying "This is for your memories.” Apparently they saw or were told about my having shared the meal.
To this very day, I wonder if he remembers.
Unknown author

No comments:

Post a Comment