Monday, December 23, 2019

WE SHALL BEHOLD HIM




As a child of the 50’s and 60’s, (the 1950’s and 1960’s) I have been more than impressed with what seems to be a geometrical increase in technology. And I think one example “speaks to me,” more so than thousands of others. I was (and still am) a great fan and advocate of space exploration.



I was recall watching the Mercury, Gemini and Saturn program launches on television leading up to the first manned lunar landing in 1969. I remember watching Neil Armstrong climbing down the ladder of the Lunar Lander, and who can forget his first words, as he dropped off that last step onto the dusty surface of the moon?



“That’s one small step for man. One giant leap for mankind.”



The example? In recent years we have been told that there is more computing power and storage capability in a small hand-held smart phone than once existed in that Lunar Lander. Now that is impressive!



Over the past decade, I have been an avid subscriber to social media, and the various computer capabilities which were only a figment in my day and time.



Speaking of the amazing increase of technology in this century, the first time I ever witnessed a Skype conversation was in 2006 when I noticed an e-face staring into the eyes of one of my university students, and an e-mouth speaking to her from the colorful confines of that animated rectangular little screen.


Pt. 2



Speaking of Skype, fast forward about ten years, and I was going about my daily business when my wife’s cell phone went off, and answering it, Jean found herself looking at a very familiar countenance in a very unfamiliar place. Having excused herself, and having handed the phone off to me, I recognized the beaming face of my God son-in-law, Travis. At the time he was stationed in Afghanistan, and we proceeded to engage in a twenty minute live feed conversation; he in the midst of a hot canvass Army tent, and I in the midst of my comfortable, air conditioned living room.



And I remember thinking how the soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines of WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the Persian Gulf War would have loved this sort of technology, but depended upon “snail mail,” and, ultimately, phone calls, instead.



Speaking of social media, I have often instant messaged a French or English or Iranian friend whom I have never met in person, but with whom I have exchanged many pleasantries over the years. How quickly the words have flown back and forth between us.



And then only yesterday, I was interacting with an Indonesian friend. I had made a comment under one of the posts on her profile page. Suphattra had posted a photo of herself in the course of eating a berry, and I, not knowing the language in which the caption was written, asked what kind of berry it was. With this, Suphattra wrote, “It is a mulberry.” With this, I responded with, “I used to eat mulberry’s when I was a boy.” And with this, the young lady posted another photo of her left hand, and a lone mulberry, and the words, “This one is for you. Hope you like it!” (And I assured her that I did).



Pt. 3



And the foregoing exhaustive account of the rise in technology brings me to the purpose of my blog. For you see, the context of Christian scripture provides us the implication that we are living in the last days. (And I happen to believe it).



Not only has the prophetic word of the holy writ been fulfilled, (I was conceived in the year that Israel once again clothed itself in the mantle of a state), but amazing things are happening around us.



For years scholars and lay people, alike, questioned how the following prophetic utterance could be fulfilled.



"Look, he is coming with the clouds," and "every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth "will mourn because of him." (Rev. 1:7)



But now we know “the rest of the story.” In an age in which live news broadcasts, and Facetime provide us instant gratification, and we can sit at our dining room table, and watch the horrendous developments surrounding Tien men Square, the Brexit debate in Great Britain, and we were privileged to look into the eyes of our daughter on a daily basis during her recent visit to Nepal, little doubt remains concerning the mode by which all the world will see Him when He takes His rightful place on the throne.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment