Wednesday, December 4, 2019

THE LIFE OF A COLOR BEARER IN THE CIVIL WAR

The mortality rate for color bearers was so high that a contemplation of eternity by each was very sensible. Yet, the men all felt it a great honor to bear their flag. J.A. Strikeleather was a color bearer at Gettysburg. In the spring of 1864, he sensed the possibility of the termination of his life. Thus he took knowledge that he might face eternity soon and needed to prepare. He explained what happened on the first night of a battle:
“The contemplation of that which seemed to be lying immediately before us, was, to say the least of it, a serious one. With feelings in my breast that such a contemplation might inspire, an intense desire took possession of me to recommit myself then and there into the hand of my Divine Master. At nine o’clock that night, after most of my comrades had wrapped themselves in their blankets, I went off some hundred paces from camp and was literally alone with God. I kneeled behind a large tree, and tried in a spirit of trustfulness to humble myself before Him who knoweth the secrets of all hearts. 
The Lord most graciously looked upon me in my low estate. I scarce had time to give expression in words to the desires that were in my breast, ere I felt that in a most gracious sense that His everlasting arms were around me. My prayer was short, a desire to praise rather than pray filled my breast. Tears of gratitude and joy streamed down my cheeks. I did not feel that my life would or would not be spared through the coming campaign, but I did feel, that whatever might happened, would happen for the best. With this feeling I returned to my comrades, most of whom were asleep around their campfires…Never shall I forget how sweet was that nights rest.”

No comments:

Post a Comment