Thursday, June 18, 2015

We Never Outgrow Our Usefulness - Part 2

(*Note - Read Part 1 prior to reading this segment)

As scripture says, “These things ought not to be.”

What should we do, then, in terms of growing old, but at the same time hoping to fill our own metamorphosing niche in life?

As a counselor I have often provided some or all of the following guidance:

**Cut yourself “some slack.” Don’t be too hard on yourself. Your physical body is no longer the lean, mean fighting machine it once was.

(I’m simply not the same fella who posed for that 44-30-40, chisel-cut, 5 percent BFI black & white photo at the age of 17).

**Recognize that your vocation, ministry or mission was never meant to be permanent. All good things come to an end. We make way for the next person “to step up to the plate.”

(There was a time that I counseled twenty and more cases on a weekly basis. Over the last several years in my new church environment I’ve averaged two or three a year).

**Recognize that God still has a work, (though possibly a rather different one,) formal or informal, for you to do.

(Our Lord has been gracious to open a couple of recent doors for me. I have been editing post-secondary and graduate papers for a couple of those folks whom I am “making way” for. I have created a couple of internet blogs. And I hope to publish a few of my unpublished volumes in the next couple of years).

**Realize that, as a naturally impactful individual what you love most is where you minister best. That is, our Creator has placed certain innate interests in your spirit, (some of which may be changing with age). He will use us in areas in which we display interest, have talent, and are given opportunities.

(I have no interest, whatsoever, in preaching on the street, or knocking on doors. I do, however, excuse me for boasting, consider myself one of the finest writers in this, or any other universe).

**Take advantage of “open doors.”

(I have titled this concept, “Momentary Ministry.” At least, it’s unexpected and momentary to you and I. God created such opportunities for us; before He made the worlds.

I stopped by the post office a year or two ago, and noticed an old fella getting off a bus, and using crutches. He hobbled his way across the parking lot, and suddenly fell. Of course, I ran over to him, and helped him up. It seems he took the bus to the post office on a daily basis to retrieve his mail. I offered to drive “Jim” a ride home, and, as a result, I had the opportunity to share the Gospel with him).

**”Be ready to give an answer to everyone who asks…” (New Testament. 1st Peter 3:15) We return, then, to my earlier theme. Old people have something to offer. Elderly people have something to say.

(During the final two decades of his life, my dad recorded numerous childhood stories. I treasure them, have added some comments, and have transferred these stories from audio tape to cd. Daddy was also an amateur genealogist, and exceptional painter. These things remain, and will be bequeathed to the next generation. I am determined that his legacy doesn’t die with him.

We MUST leave something behind for those we knew and loved. Like my father, I am leaving something behind, as I am currently compiling ministry, genealogical, literary and photographic materials on several hard drives).

**Don’t be content to “just sit back and watch the world go by.”

Dare I say it again? Whether we are young or old or in between, we have something to offer, something to share, something to give, someone to impact.

As long as you live, and move, and breathe,

God has a work for you to do. A work that only you can do. A word to say, an action to take,

…and lives to impact.
 
(By William McDonald, PhD. "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 4)

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment