Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Suffering: A Catalyst or Hindrance to Our Dreams

  
    Nothing solidifies (or hinders) Dreams more than the Disciplines of Life.

    Peter consoles us, “My brothers, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you’re suffering as though something strange were happening to you” (1st Peter 4:12).

    We mentally assent to verses like, “My thoughts are not your thoughts," but when push comes to shove our hearts remain confused. A well-known minister once said, “Perhaps we should develop a “I just don’t understand file for ourselves." For life is full to the brim with misunderstandings. And there are too many things we won’t understand ‘til this “little day” is past.

    Counselors and Dreamers are pretty ineffective without hard experience. I’ve wondered how the young ones count for very much in a hurting world. There’s a phrase, “Your clients won’t care how much you know, ‘til they know how much you care." And caring comes with experience; being able to relate and empathize with another human being.

    I have a particular circumstance in my life that has been excruciating beyond degree. My grown daughter is mentally ill. She’s been sick for well over a decade, and she’s spent years in mental facilities. I could wish her well, but all my wishing has been a futile exercise. I’ve had to tuck her condition into that “I just don’t understand” file and let God hold it for me.

      Yes, suffering either hinders or solidifies our Dreams. Funny… what seems to bring one down seems to build one up. What deters faith for one, furthers it for another.

    My favorite Epistle is The Book of Philippians. I sat down once and paraphrased the entire book. Nothing I’ve ever done with scripture has meant as much to me. We can imagine dear, old Paul, bent over his manuscript, and chained to the wall of a dreary Roman cell.
 
   He writes “For I would have you understand, my brothers, that all my glories and all my sufferings have allowed the gospel to be shed forth in a mortal life" and “For I have been presented the inestimable privilege of both trusting in Him and suffering for Him." (my paraphrase).
 
    Words like these have a ring of truth and a total lack of hypocrisy. Paul embraced a valuable principle. I think he shared this truth with us, again and again. It sounds something like, “Brothers, don’t be too concerned for them that can chain your flesh. Rather, be on your guard against that one determined to chain your soul."

     I cannot read Paul’s writing without a genuine pride in him. I think he’s a spiritual father to all those who name the Name of Christ. This One who bore such adversity of men, but who was, outside of Our Lord Himself, the Greatest of Dreamers. I remember one particular scripture in which he said, “Model yourself after me, as I model myself after Christ." It takes one of two kinds to say that… a hypocrite or the genuine article. Paul was the Genuine Article.

      As Dreamers we must be perceived as the Genuine Article, or all our words will fall flat. We will neither see our Dreams fulfilled, nor will we influence others to see their Dreams realized. And for whatever reason, it seems Genuine Articles are tested above measure.
 
     There’s a verse in Colossians in which Paul speaks of “filling up in my body the unfinished sufferings of Christ." Now I’m not exactly sure what that means, but it’s almost poetic in nature. Perhaps, more than anything, there’s the implication of Modeling through Suffering. For Christ first Modeled Suffering beyond human comparison, as he bore our stripes and hung suspended between heaven and earth.

     Nothing, absolutely nothing, is more illustrative and commendable of the Champion Dreamer than his ability to Model in Suffering. And some may even dare quote Paul, "Model yourself after me, as I model myself after Christ."    

      Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think Paul or any other Dreamer ever “stood in line” to get a second helping of suffering, ‘cause it was so much fun or ‘cause it “feels so good when it hurts." But so often the path of progress, and avenue of accomplishment leads through the Valley of the Shadow.

     Granted, it seems like a contradiction in terms. How could suffering promote success? But I am continually encouraged when I read of Dreamers like Joseph and Daniel and Paul, himself. And none of these men came through life unscathed. I am humbled to read Hebrews Chapter 11. Such shining examples. Such men and women. Such models of that faith we share with them.

     It’s kinda dangerous to include yourselves with such a host. I found myself quoting Paul the other night in the recovery group I lead. My little spiel went something like… “Well, dear ones. It seems that another test has come my way. My wife has been diagnosed with Cancer. She’ll be operated on this week” and “But, hear me, I’m determined to go through. Nothing will deter me from Dreaming. Nothing. And Nothing must deter you” and “Model yourself after me, as I model myself after Christ."

     Yes, it’s dangerous to talk like that… unless you mean it! Unless you’re determined to do it.

     Oh, we’ve all met them; Fair Weather Dreamers. They’re the Ones who feel compelled to remind you of their Dreams. They’re the Ones who boast of small dreams fulfilled. They’re the Ones who always trade Good for Best. They’re the ones who chase rabbits and ignore buffaloes.

      But I determined a long time ago to be a Model; to be a Champion Dreamer. To be a Mentor to Juvenile Dreamers. It’s hard work. It’s tedious and exacting work. But it has its rewards.

     Ah, the work has its rewards. No, not monetary. Not material. But such reciprocal blessings have been mine when a soul is impacted, when a client is changed. I won’t be a Fair Weather Dreamer. Too much is at stake.

    And I’ve long since determined that I wouldn’t trade these Opportunities and these Dreams for all the gold in Africa or all the oil in Iraq. I just wouldn’t. No, these are the kind of Dreams that legends are made of. These are the kind of Dreams that represent a Legacy that I refuse to squander or trade away.
 
(By William McDonald, PhD. "A Dream Book" Chapter 4)

 

    

    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment