Monday, June 22, 2015

Victim Mentality

This may possibly be the most controversial and response-generating blog I’ve ever written, but I feel compelled to “put my two cents in,” since everyone else seems to be doing so.

I like to think I am as non-prejudicial as anyone else, and I believe in fair opportunities, and equal treatment under the law for every Tom, Dick & Harry, (or Thomasina, Doris & Hazel) out there.

Having said the foregoing, recent occurrences involving the police and the minority community has me scratching my head, and pondering whether to “literaturize” (root word, literature) my particular view on the matter.

A recent video has Chris Rock spouting what seems to be the minority view among the minority community, a video which I have been tempted to post on my social media page. I have only refrained from doing so due to the over-abundance of four letter words mixed throughout it.

Nonetheless, I tend to agree with Mr. Rock’s general persuasion, and that is when you do the wrong thing you put yourself in a precarious position, and create a situation in which the powers that be have to “think on their feet,” (and can easily make mistakes in judgment, sometimes leading to an unfortunate conclusion).

The liberal media seems to be “eat up” with covering recent events, and (I believe) inflaming the sensibilities of demonstrators, rioters and looters with their one-sided coverage. (And I might quickly add that there is absolutely no justification for burning and looting. Such people use so-called police-victim scenarios simply as an excuse to commit mayhem, and burn and loot someone else’s property).

But to return to, and identify with the remarks of Chris Rock, and to cite three examples of that which he was alluding to:

*A young man who had the same day robbed a convenience store, and who, subsequently, resisted an attempt by a policeman to question him about said activity.

*A middle-aged man who was involved with the illegal sale of taxable cigarettes.

*A 12 year old boy standing on a street corner waving what appeared to be a handgun.

And I think it is important to reiterate, it is a crying shame that three lives were snuffed out, and who will never have an opportunity to live, and move and breathe again.

And I think it is equally important to decry the recent situation in Charleston in which nine precious human being lost their lives to a demented, racist gunman. (This blog is not addressed to, and has absolutely nothing to do with these circumstances. That young man should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law).

However, “when you play with fire you (are very likely to) get burned.” In the case of the three real-life scenarios I previously cited, I don’t care if you are white, black, yellow, brown, red or polka-dotted, when you are involved in illegal activity, law-enforcement officers have a duty to stop, question and subsequently arrest you. And sadly in such situations, unforeseen and unfortunate things can occur.

(All this being said, if a policeman, who while in pursuit of his duties responds in a totally unwarranted and illegal manner, I say prosecute him).

In such cases as these which I previously cited, however, I simply don’t “get” the mentality of peaceful or non-peaceful demonstrators, or the liberal “news” organizations.

Law Breakers deserve no respect or pity. Law Breakers are not and never will be “victims.” Law Breakers must be held accountable. Law Breakers should be arrested. Law Breakers who resist arrest place themselves in jeopardy of life and limb.

That’s my “take” on recent developments.

If I live to be 100 no one will ever alter my viewpoint on the circumstances with which America has contended in recent months.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Concepts, Teachings, Practicalities & Stories"

No comments:

Post a Comment