Sunday, June 28, 2015

Motivation is Highly Overrated

This may well be the shortest blog of all time since what I have to offer today can be summarized in a few sentences.

I come from a cognitive-behavioral approach in terms of my pastoral counseling practice, and often teach my clients about such topics as Feelings, Behaviors, Motivations and Mindsets.

Following is a succinct, but poignant teaching which I have often used in the context of individual and marital counseling:

**Motivation is highly overrated since motivation is little more than a feeling. If you wait until you "feel like it" you may be 103.

Every good thing, every purposeful, productive thing begins with a decision, and requires a subsequent action. (Only wrecks happen by accident).

William McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment