Monday, June 8, 2015

Two footed & Four Footed Angels, Apparitions & Admonitions

**Please read (1) "My Not Entirely Successful Attempt to Fly (and Land) and
    (2) "Two People Driving One Car" first
 
After my arm was sufficiently healed, I mapped out a 10 mile circuit, and resumed peddling.

As I finished my ride each morning, and mentally added 10 miles, I felt good about my progressive total, as well as my weight loss. (At one time I had managed to lose a grand total of 55 lbs. Unfortunately, even with my daily regimen, I regained about 15 of it).

As I inferred earlier, I have been party to a number of experiences on my daily trek which almost defy credulity. Following are several what I might describe as visitations which I have encountered in the wee hours of the morning.

I was a quarter mile from home when I happened on one of the strangest scenarios of my life. For as I peddled down the sidewalk, and approached a bank on my side of the road, I noticed a female specter, (for lack of a better word) on my right. As I recall, the clothing she wore seemed a bit dated, she was middle-aged, and she stood among the small bushes and flowers which served as landscaping for the bank.

In her right hand she held a leash. On the end of the leash was a small, non-descript dog. The puppy never made a whimper, nor did it attempt to lunge at me; nor even move an inch. On the other hand, (and this is what struck me so ethereal) the woman at the business end of the leash was singing, what was at the same time, both an eerie and compelling song.

Well, my friend, need I add that yours truly kept on keeping on?

I definitely did.

To this day I have no idea whether this phantom was a flesh and blood woman, or some visitation from beyond.

Perhaps the most amazing situation was one which I experienced in the past several months.

I had just pedaled to the end of a side street, had halted at a stop sign, and my bike was at a 90 degree angle to a state road which I intended to cross. I looked to my right, and though it was dark, I managed to make out a man, perhaps a hundred feet away, walking towards me on the sidewalk. On his right was the divided four lane highway. On his left was the eight foot wall of a gated community.

I didn’t think all that much about it, as occasionally I run across walkers and bikers in the wee hours of the morning; (though I admit, I try to give them a “wide berth; never knowing what their agenda may be at that time of night).

At any rate, I turned my head to the left to check for traffic, and though the entire 180 of my cranium took no more than 3 seconds, when I looked back to my right

…the man was no longer there!

And at this stage I am prone to replace that second word in the final six words of the last sentence.

For though I am not one to entertain heavenly apparitions, (having never met one in 65 years) I have little doubt that what or who I saw walking towards me on the sidewalk

…was an angel.

His agenda remains more mysterious to me than his presence.

Finally, as I was nearing home one morning, and pedaling on the sidewalk, I thought I saw something stationed next to a light pole. It may help to understand how out of place this object seemed since I have long since become aware of every hole in the sidewalk, and low hanging branch.

As I neared the object, I realized that it was animate. A miniature Doberman. And what a pitiful creature he was. Terribly emaciated and tied to the light post by a frayed old rope. I immediately brought my bike to a stop. Dismounted. And bent down to touch the poor creature. Initially the dog drew away from my touch. But as I squatted beside it, and attempted to rub him between the ears, the pooch realized my intentions were good, and allowed me to untie him.

After this, “all bets were off,” for you see, he immediately warmed up to the idea of being released from his bondage, and I picked him up. He was a light weight, but it was still difficult holding the dog in one hand, and pushing my bike with the other. (I later learned later “Tramp” was a miserable 15 lbs. of skin and bones. No doubt, he had wandered for weeks with little more to eat than insects and lizards).

Fortunately, I was almost home by this time, but the situation compelled me to place the canine on the ground and lead him; while walking my bicycle with the other arm.

…Not!

Tramp refused to be deposited on the road. For every time I attempted to do so, he clamored up my chest, “and would not be denied.”

Arriving home, I immediately scooped out a large portion of my own Queenie’s dog food onto a paper plate, and filled a bowl with water. You would have thought “there was no tomorrow,” for Tramp ate like he hadn’t eaten in a month. (And perhaps this was close to being true).

Afterwards I made a call to county animal control, and reported having found a dog tied to a light post next to a state road. (I surmised that the precious pooch had escaped from a back yard somewhere, the rope still around his neck, and that some well-meaning, but not so smart individual had found him, and tied him to a pole; hoping that someone would discover the animal when the sun rose).

The “dog pound” operator informed me that someone would drop by my house in a few hours, and pick up the dog. In the meantime, I remembered a friend who ran a “no-kill” shelter, and messaged her. Having followed up with a photo of the dog, Erika informed me that she and her husband would be glad to accept the creature. As a result I canceled the order for animal control to retrieve the pooch.

Later that day I transferred Tramp to my friend’s care, and within weeks the otherwise healthy animal had gained an impressive thirty pounds!

 

Perhaps the best way to bring this daily blog to a close is by returning to my initial theme.

We live in a country whose population is miserably overweight; perhaps the highest percentage of body fat that exists in any country in the world. People start and stop weight loss programs and exercise routines on a whim. We set New Year’s Resolutions only to “fall flat on our faces” days later; too easily depositing our worthy goals in File 13.

“Motivation” is one of our catch words. We throw it around like it is something tangible to be desired above fine gold. And yet it seems to remain more elusive than gold.

My friends, I believe Motivation is highly overrated because

…it is little more than a feeling.

 
And if we wait to “feel” motivated, we may be 103! We simply can’t afford to wait!

Every good thing begins with a Decision. (Only wrecks happen by accident). More often than not I haven’t felt like peddling those 10 arduous miles on a daily basis, but I can count on two hands the number of times in three years that I have failed to mount my trusty bike, and head off “into outer darkness.”

There’s nothing magical about doing what needs to be done because it needs to be done. We simply need to make a decision and follow through;

…whether we feel like it, or not.

 
I hope this particular blog has been both interesting and insightful, and that these closing paragraphs inspire you to do what some wait a lifetime to accomplish; (and which ultimately never gets done).

 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary, Vol. 4

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Decision and follow-through are important in every discipline of life. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindsets, Decisions and Behavior are such imminent topics

    ReplyDelete