Wednesday, November 8, 2023

WILL THE SAVIOR LOOK FAMILIAR?

 4152

I was watching a rerun of George Beverly Shea's funeral service today.

What a marvelous man. He lived to the grand old age of 104! Of course, he was the resident soloist for "The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association."

My wife and I once attended a one night appearance of this great man at a church in our local area; 15 or 20 years before he went on to his reward. Of course, he sang. And of course, he shared some memorable stories. 

As "Bev." Shea's funeral progressed, his step-son walked to the stage, and shared some personal perspectives of his step-father.

"My Step-dad George Beverly Shea was such a precious man. We all loved him. He was so giving and kind. We called him 'Papa Shea.'"

What he shared next was, in essence, a concept which I'd never thought of before; at least not in so many words.

"The kind of life he led, and the way he gave, and loved people around him, I think, will cause Jesus to be so familiar when we see Him."

I want to live out my life that way. 

I would like people to sense something so familiar when they see the Savior, and to suddenly realize it was because I, and countless other believers, (and I say this with reverence and bowed head)... reminded them of Him.

by Bill McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment