Tuesday, November 14, 2023

PERSISTENCE

 4157

Pt. 1

A few years ago, I purchased a speed bike and began to pedal several miles a day, well, a night. However, after literally going over the handlebars five times, and landing rudely on the pavement, I gave up the habit, gave the bicycle away, and began walking.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I arrived at the conclusion that I would prefer to pedal again. (With my deplorable record, don’t ask me why). However, I bought a slightly slower (so-called) speed bike, and resumed pedaling. (I have continued to do so for about a year, and so far, so good).

And while I am not losing any weight, I’m not gaining any either. However, I count it a very good thing that I can still pedal ten miles a day, five days a week during the first half of my seventh decade of life; without any pain or repercussions, whatsoever.

I never get more than three miles from home, and I pedal on the sidewalk. I rarely take the same route two days in a row, but I know when I have covered about ten miles; based on the elapsed time of an hour and twenty minutes.

But enough of that. (Most of the foregoing information has little or nothing to do with my agenda here).

I don’t know when I first saw it. It may have been a few weeks, or a few months ago. But, as I was pedaling along a four laned state road which borders my subdivision, I noticed something beautiful growing on the side of a concrete wall which borders another nearby subdivision.

Pt. 2

Upon closer examination, I realized the plant was not merely growing on the wall, but through the wall! This leafy lavender colored plant had somehow sent its tendrils from the back yard of a home on the other side of the foot thick wall, through a millimeters wide crack between the cinder blocks, and out the side closest to the road. I can tell you I was impressed!

So much so that I decided to take a photo. And thus, yesterday morning as I passed this amazing plant, (which one of my social media friends explained is called a “Wandering Jew”), I pulled out my trusty flip phone, and snapped a couple of pictures.

And I had hardly returned home, and examined the photos, that the scriptural poignancy of the picture struck me.

The circumstances of life can be absolutely overwhelming. Sometimes, like the Apostle Peter, we find ourselves walking upon a stormy sea, and beginning, as it were, to sink beneath the massive waves.

The Shepherd among shepherds once told his disciples,

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me, and I in you, you will bear much fruit. Apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5)

That lovely little lavender plant is such a tangible reminder of this scripture.

The source of the sustenance of that small bit of flora remains unseen, but very real. That square foot of foliage depends on a much larger plant behind the wall which has sent its roots deep into the soil, and is faithful to provide nourishment to the tiny branches which have found their way through a tiny crack in that massive concrete wall.

Afterward

I think, we as believers can learn a great deal from that wee bit of foliage which has found its way through a significant amount of adversity, and in so doing gives glory to the hidden, but very tangible source of its sustenance just behind the wall.

The circumstances with which all of us are all too familiar are not for the faint at heart. But thank God we have a heavenly Friend who loves us, and gave Himself for us, on whom we can depend, and who knew every circumstance with which we would ever contend…before He flung the worlds and stars into space.

 

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy. (1st Peter 1:8)

by Bill McDonald, PhD


No comments:

Post a Comment