Saturday, November 11, 2023

INTO THE DARKNESS

 4155

I pedal. I pedal a lot. I pedal at night. I have been pedaling for years, and have been exposed to, and experienced some unusual situations.

A few days ago, about 10pm, as I pedaled down the sidewalk near my home, I glanced across the street, and noticed a stalled vehicle at the redlight. The driver had nosed their car up against the sidewalk at a 45 degree angle, though it was still mostly on the pavement.

I decided to do a 180, and find out what was going on.

As I reached the late model sedan, the sole occupant of the car, a young woman, looked up at me. She had raised the hood, and was peering into the dark recesses of the engine.

"Hello, I saw you over here, and I thought I'd check on you."

The young lady smiled. It seemed obvious she felt comfortable in my presence, though I had just coasted up on a bicycle in the dark of the night. No doubt, my age, and lack of intent set her at ease. 

"Oh, hi. Yeah, my car died on me."

I noticed she was holding a smart phone, and I presumed she had just called her boyfriend or husband for assistance.

I looked at the motor, and shook my head.

"Sorry. I know little or nothing about car engines."

(and)

"But, are you going to be okay?"

I might just as easily have said,

"Would you like me to hang out with you 'til someone arrives to help you?"

(It occurred to me later that this would have been a more appropriate question).

The twenty-something year old girl nodded her head, and assured me she would be fine.

I smiled, and began to pedal.

Six hours later, I was back "on the road (well, sidewalk) again." 

As I passed the previous location of the car, and young woman, nothing seemed to be amiss. The vehicle and its occupant had long since disappeared into the night. (Presumably, someone came for her, and was able to get the car running).

I have often thought about such visitations, or chance interactions between two people who would never during the course of a lifetime meet again. And as often, as not one finds themselves in a vulnerable position, whereas the other serves in the capacity of a rescuer. 

In retrospect, I regretted not offering to remain with the young lady 'til a more suitable rescuer made his appearance on the scene.

by Bill McDonald, PhD






No comments:

Post a Comment